cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an API in AppDynamics that can be used to archive events?

Dale.Chapman
Maker

I am in the process of integrating AppDynamics with our build tool. I am going to add a step in the build to create an APPLICATION_DEPLOYMENT event whenever there is a code deployment to the production server. I have experimented with the event generation API and have it working. The API documentation states that events have a lifespan of two weeks unless the event is archived. Is there a way to have an event automatically archived as we want to have deployment events last for a year?

Is there another way to capture what we need?

Dale Chapman

6 REPLIES 6

Mario.Morelli
Architect

Hi Dale

I don't believe there is an official API for it, that I know of.

To get the API that is being called just use developer tools in your browser, and archive an event. You will see a specific API that's called, with an input of the EventID that is being archived.

You can then just build that into your process, when you create a deployment event, to immediately archive it.

Ciao

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Learn more about me in the Community Member Spotlight Q & A

I have tried your idea and I got a surprise. The REST call wasn't made because the javascript in the UI indicated that the event was already archived. The documentation does not indicate that the APPLICATION_DEPLOYED event is automatically archived but it does indicate that the APPLICATION_CONFIG_CHANGED event is. 
So, now my question is:
Does the APPLICATION_DEPLOYED event get automatically archived?
If so, my issue has been resolved.

Thanks!

Dale Chapman

Awesome Dale

Easiest way would be to check if you can archive a "Normal Event", to see if the API works at all.

But yes, best would be to check with AppD Support if that is the case. Might just be an omission from the documentation that its auto archived.

Ciao

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Learn more about me in the Community Member Spotlight Q & A

Hi @Dale.Chapman,

If you share the Documentation link, I will have the Docs team look at it. 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

The location where I saw this data is here:
https://docs.appdynamics.com/21.2/en/appdynamics-essentials/monitor-events/events-reference
Look for APPLICATION_CONFIG_CHANGE
There is a blue box below the description that states that this type of event is automatically archived.
Just below it, there is an entry for APPLICATION_DEPLOYMENT event. There is no equivalent blue box below it.

Thanks.

Dale Chapman

Hi @Dale.Chapman,

I have created a ticket for the Docs team to look into it. Did you happen to see @Mario.Morelli response? If not, please check it out and see if his info helped out at all.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.