cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Auto) Starting the controller

Tim.Cartwright
Producer

First, off let me lead off that I am not a linux expert. So more details to any answers would be greatly appreciated.

There are two parts to this question:

1. What is the proper method to start up the controller?
  2. How do we use that method so that the controller shuts down / starts up properly on machine reboot?

What is the proper method to start up the controller?

According to the documentation: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Start+or+Stop+the+Controller you should use:

platform-admin.sh start-controller-appserver --with-db

to start the controller. however I have found

:
controller/bin/startController.sh

So I am curious, which is the proper method. I am leaning towards the usage suggested in the documentation, but I am just looking for clarification between the two scripts and whether or not the startController.sh should be used or not.

How do we use that method so that the controller shuts down / starts up properly on machine reboot?

Once I know which script to use, I need to understand how to make the stop / start get called on machine reboot. I scanned the forums and the documentation, but I could not find a clear answer. Could someone please provide guidance?

1 REPLY 1

Tim.Cartwright
Producer

I found this documentation:

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Set+Up+a+High+Availability+Deployment#SetUpaHighAvailabil...

Step 4: Install as a Service

The Enterprise Console does not install the Controller as a service on linux as it requires root user or sudo privileges. However, the Enterprise Console copies the init scripts on the Controller hosts in <controller>/init. You can run the following script manually to complete the installation:

1. Change directories into <controller_home>/init.  
  2. Run save_mysql_passwd.sh as the user who owns the Controller folder, and enter the MySQL database root user password when prompted.

3. Run install-init.sh as root user with one of the following options to choose how to elevate the user privilege:

• -c #use setuid c wrapper
    • -s #use sudo
    • -p #use prune wrapper
    • -x #use user privilege wrapper

This script must be run on both Controller HA pair servers. If you need to uninstall the service later, use the uninstall-init.sh script. 

The status and progress logs of the deployment's various components are written to the logs.

However I am unsure what to passs into those parameters nor what those parameters mean. We are not using sudo, but pbrun.