cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeanie.Kedia
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

AppDynamics Datacenter Controller Migration

In the next few months, AppDynamics will be migrating customers on controllers in the AppDynamics Datacenter to our new Americas Datacenter.  This notice serves to share details and benefits of this plan. 

Controller migration benefits:

• Faster time to features
  • Zero downtime upgrades — you will continue to receive maintenance notifications when we migrate, but you will not notice any downtime in the UI and no metrics will be lost during maintenance.  (Note that all UI sessions expire during the maintenance event).
  • Improved scaling capabilities — when needed, your controller capacity will be increased without any downtime
  • Improved performance
  • Improved HA capabilities — new database architecture that performs multiple writes to multiple copies 
  • Improved DR capabilities 

Customers who have IP whitelisting or other outbound IP traffic restrictions in place will need to whitelist a new set of IP addresses in addition to the current ranges by February 28, 2020. New IP addresses will be provided starting November 4, 2019.

To minimize the downtime required for the maintenance and ensure this one-time maintenance process runs smoothly, access to snapshot history will be temporarily shortened to 2 days. Upon completion of the controller migration, snapshot data history will build as usual. 

This mandatory maintenance will be scheduled to occur between November 2019 and March 2020, during an off-hours window to minimize impact. Customers will receive the following maintenance notifications:

• Controller Migration Scheduled Notifications [beginning at least 4 weeks in advance, though some will receive more advance notice]
  • Controller Migration Starting
  • Controller Migration Completed

Answers to FAQs

1) Am I able to reschedule my scheduled maintenance window?

2) What is the expected downtime required?

3) Will we be able to continue using our own domain for sending emails from the controller?

4) Do you have details on how this impacts customers with proxy configs on their agents?

5) Why is the access period of historical snapshots being temporarily reduced?

6) Is there any other data that will not be moved?

7) During cutover, how is agent traffic handled so that it is not dropped?

How do I know what IP Addresses to add to my whitelists?

1) Am I able to reschedule my scheduled maintenance window?

No. For operational reasons, it is not possible to reschedule this maintenance.

2) What is the expected downtime required?

In line with standard maintenance practices, the maintenance window will be 60 minutes. The metrics loss and UI downtime is expected to be under 5 minutes. 

3) Will we be able to continue using our own domain for sending emails from the controller?

After the controller migration, you can still use your own domain to send emails — see these instructions for how to get verified. If you use <account-name>.saas.appdynamics.com to send emails no action is needed.

4) Do you have details on how this impacts customers with proxy configs on their agents?

Since the controller fully qualified domain name (FQDN) will remain the same — agents will still talk to customer.saas.appdynamics.com (where customer is the customer’s specific account name) because we will redirect the DNS to the new controller host(s).

5) Why is the access period of historical snapshots being temporarily reduced?

Given the large volume of data that snapshots represent and the time required to transfer that amount of data, we are unable to migrate all snapshots. We believe the best solution is to provide access to the most recent, most frequently used snapshots. Customers can manually archive older snapshots individually by following the documentation. Archived snapshots will be migrated during the controller migration

6) Is there any other data that will not be moved?

All historical metrics, EUM, and analytics data will be available after the migration. Only APM events and snapshots history beyond 2 days, which are very large data sets, will not be moved. APM events and snapshots can be archived by following the APM events documentation and snapshots documentation.

7) During cutover, how is agent traffic handled so that it is not dropped?

Appdynamics has traffic redirection in place which will forward traffic during the DNS change.

How do I know what IP Addresses to add to my whitelists?

Check status.appdynamics.com (or the maintenance notfication emails themselves) for the message sent the week of November 4 entitled "Appdynamics IP Address Change." 

If you have additional questions or concerns about this migration, please contact AppDynamics Customer Support at help.appdynamics.com.

To see the current status of your service, and view an archive of previous messages, please visit the AppDynamics Status Page.