cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Transactions show up in Analytics, but originating tier does not.

I have a business journey that is giving me fits.

I have a business transaction that shows up in Analytics for regular searches, but the originating tier does not show up in the list of tiers to choose from in the Business Journey milestone section.

And since the tier is not available as a choice there, the business transaction cannot be selected.

I've tried to work around this every way I can think of, but nothing works.

The originating tier for the BT is an api gatway tier.  The service I need to gather the metric data from is downstream from the gateway.  So when I create a pojo bt to try to grab the data at the service level, it is masked by the upstream BT from the gatway.

Even when I disable the rule on the gateway in an attempt to let the downstream service pojo bt rule detect it, the transactions from the gateway go into the overflow container and are still masking.

Why is the originating tier not showing up in Business journeys?

Sad and depressed.

8 REPLIES 8

I am now working with AppD/Cisco support for this issue, and hope that together we can find a resolution.  I'll try to remember to post whatever they/we figure out.

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Gregory.Burkhead,

Thanks for letting us know. If you share your ticket number with me here or via a PM I can also watch it and give you a reminder when it's closed to update the thread. 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Is this issue resolved. I have similar issue where analytical query does not show the tier.

Hey,

Yes, it got resolved.  It involved modifying the permissions in the start up of the agents on the gateway devices.  It took months to figure out and resolve.

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Gregory.Burkhead,

Thanks so much for coming back and sharing the solution. Knowledge sharing is key for the growth and success of the community. 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for your quick response. I don't see my issue is related to the agent startup permissions. I am using AppDynamics Controller build 22.10.1-611, where ">>Applications/Tiers and Nodes" shows the desired Tier with Transaction snapshots. However the analytical query does not show any data for the desired tier.

Query-->SELECT * FROM transactions WHERE segments.tier = "desired tier"

Have you checked the configuration in Analytics to make sure the business transactions for that tier are selected for Analytics?AppD1.jpg

Hey @Akbar.Khan 

Did you ever figure it out?  I have similar issues occasionally.  Are you using data collectors, by any chance?  I have a case now where the BT I'm designating in the data collector, is not showing up in Analytics, but the data elements from the collector, ARE showing up in Analytics!  I don't understand how that is possible.

Thanks,

Greg