Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Agent Install - "requested registry access is not allowed"

Highlighted
Builder

Hi,

I'm getting up to speed with AppDynamics 4.3 trial self-hosted install on a Windows Server 2016 server.

The controller installs fine and is accessible, however when I install the agent it then fires off "AppDynamics Agent Configuration" which then, unfortunately, triggers a message box stating "requested registry access is not allowed".  I've checked your documentation and tried running as admin etc. but without luck.

I've attached the install log file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

6 REPLIES 6
AppDynamics Team

Re: Windows Agent Install - "requested registry access is not allowed"

Hi Ben,

It seems like the logged in user account does not have the full admin rights on the server to open/edit the system registry keys. Actually, on launching of the Agent configuration wizard it will check in the system registry to see if there are any 3rd party profilers installed on the server, so during this process it is facing the permissions issue and throwing the "Requested registry access is not allowed" error message. Below are the locations where the Agent will check for the following "COR_PROFILER", "COR_ENABLE_PROFILING" and "COR_PROFILER_PATH" registry entries.

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services
  2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

So, manually check if you are able to edit/create a new registry entry at the above mentioned locations. If you face any issues, then contact your system admin to resolve the permissions issue.

However, if the above issue is stopping you to proceed further to configure the applications for the instrumentation, then you can manually edit the config.xml file (default location is "%ProgramData%\AppDynamics\DotNetAgent\Config") and configure them. You can refer to the sample configuration files located at following location "<appdynamics .Net Agent Installation Directory>\AppDynamics .NET Agent\SampleConfigurations".

After modifying the config.xml file, please restart the below components in the same sequence.

1. AppDynamics Agent Coordinator service.
  2. IIS/standalone/windows services based on your configuration.

Thanks,

Venu.

Builder

Hi Venu,

Thank you for your help so far however I'm still having issues in the setup.

1. I've checked and my logged-on account does have access to read / edit the registry.
    1. From what I understand when running "AppDynamics.Agent.Winston.exe" if administration access isn't available it should prompt for this level of access and request login under an admin level account (see: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO42/Resolve+.NET+Agent+Installation+and+Configuration+Issues#...).
    2. I've tried running it under admin access as well but the issue persists.
  2. Within the registry:
    1. There were no entries within "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services".
    2. Both "COR_PROFILER" and "COR_ENABLE_PROFILING" existed in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment".  I've tried removing, adding, setting etc. these with no luck.
    3. Gave full permission to read and edit these keys (tried my own individual account to using "Everybody").

After spending some time with no real progress I moved onto your suggested manual configuration of the agent config.xml file - to help reduce other potential issues I've kept it simple with just the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<appdynamics-agent xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
  <controller host="127.0.0.1" port="8090" ssl="false">
    <application name="MyImageLibrary"/>
    <account name="customer1" password="1b8bdcd8-6e18-4891-a14b-1a24449d435d"/>
  </controller>
  <machine-agent />
  <app-agents>
    <IIS>
      <automatic/>
    </IIS>
  </app-agents>
</appdynamics-agent>

Please note this is a trial setup by myself so everything is on the one server (controller / agent and DB collectors).  I know this isn't recommended but thought I'd mention it in case it could be the root cause of the issues I'm experiencing?

At this point, the controller detected the agent connection however it never picks up any data load.  All load is coming via IIS where I have setup a dummy SIT and UAT environments with several APPPOOLS each.  The agent is not listed in the "AppDynamics Agents" page either.

To try and resolve this I then reviewed the agent log again where I kept seeing the below warning:

• Could not connect to the controller/invalid response from controller, cannot get registration information.

From Googling and reading agent installation documentation I then found the following advice:

1. Give IIS_IUSR access to the agent log folder - my APPPOOLS are running under ApplicationPoolIdentity (see: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO42/Resolve+.NET+Agent+Installation+and+Configuration+Issues#...).
  2. Changed the "Log On As" for "AppDynamics.Agent.Coordinator" from Network Service to Local System.

These changes resolved the invalid response from controller issue but despite these changes and more (which I've subsequently rolled back), I'm still not getting data coming through the agent into the controller.  I've also reviewed Event Viewer and I'm seeing the following:

.NET Runtime version 4.0.30319.0 - Loading profiler failed during CoCreateInstance.  Profiler CLSID: 'AppDynamics.AgentProfiler'.  HRESULT: 0x8007007e.  Process ID (decimal): 7572.  Message ID: [0x2504].

Again to avoid any issues for now Windows Firewall is completely disabled.  Attached are the latest agent, winston and more log files.

Any thoughts on what is going wrong here?

Thanks, Ben

AppDynamics Team

Hi Ben,

Thanks for providing the details. Installing all the components on the same server should not cause any issues. In the Agent logs, we did not notice the w3wp process entries, so it means that the profiler did not load into the IIS hosted application processes. Again the reason could be the permissions issue here, also, the below warning message confirms this permission issue as the profiler is failing to load into the process.

.NET Runtime version 4.0.30319.0 - Loading profiler failed during CoCreateInstance.  Profiler CLSID: 'AppDynamics.AgentProfiler'.  HRESULT: 0x8007007e.  Process ID (decimal): 7572.  Message ID: [0x2504].

So, as the next step, please follow the below steps and then check if the Agent is reporting to the Controller. 

1. Manually add the following user accounts Admin, IUSR and IIS_IUSRS on the following folders "%ProgramData%\AppDynamics\" and "<.Net Agent installation directory>" and then give full permissions.
  2. Restart the AppDynamics Agent Coordinator service.
  3. Restart the IIS
  4. Generate traffic on the applications.

Thanks,

Venu.

Builder

Hi Venu,

Unfortunately despite trying I couldn't get the agent to work on the test server so I've moved it onto a separate standalone machine.

I'm pleased to say it worked fine there - installation went smoothly with no issues.

Just a shame I couldn't get it to work on the build server but thank you for your support in trying to resolve the issue.  If I ever get time to look back at it and resolve it, I'll update this thread.

Thanks, Ben

AppDynamics Team

Hi,

I am facing the similar issue here with .Net Agent (version 4.4). May I know what should be the values of these registry entries.

"COR_PROFILER", "COR_ENABLE_PROFILING" and "COR_PROFILER_PATH".

However, In my case, COR_PROFIKER_PATH Has not created anywhere in the registry.

Can you please suggest.

Regards,

Abhijeet

Hi,

Please install the prerequisite described in the following document and let us know if the installation succeeds 

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Install+the+.NET+Agent#Installthe.NETAgent-PreparetoInsta...

4.4 Agent needs us Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows  or Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3.

Thanks,

Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.