Standalone application not registering into the correct Tier

Highlighted
Discoverer

Hi

I'm experiencing a very odd issue

I have a few services with the same executable but a dynamic folder name:

i.e

Application 1: myWindowsService.exe is located in c:\myWindowsService-1-2018.04.25\myWindowsService.exe

Application 2: myWindowsService.exe is located in c:\myWindowsService-2-2018.04.25\myWindowsService.exe

Application 3: myWindowsService.exe is located in c:\myWindowsService-3-2018.04.25\myWindowsService.exe

The application starts up with arguements: 

Application 1: myWindowsService.exe serviceName="myWindowsService-1-2018.04.25"

Application 2: myWindowsService.exe serviceName="myWindowsService-2-2018.04.25"

Application 3: myWindowsService.exe serviceName="myWindowsService-3-2018.04.25"

on the machine agent I've setup the config.xml as follows:

<standalone-application executable="myWindowsService.exe" command-line="myWindowsService-1">
        <tier name="Service.WindowsService 1" />
      </standalone-application>

<standalone-application executable="myWindowsService.exe" command-line="myWindowsService-2">
        <tier name="Service.WindowsService 2" />
      <standalone-application executable="myWindowsService.exe" command-line="myWindowsService-3">
        <tier name="Service.WindowsService 3" />

However on the AppDynamics controller application dashboard and Tier and Nodes

It's lumping myWindowsService-2 into myWindowsService-1 while myWindowsService-1 and myWindowsService-3 are in it's own respective tiers.

So I thought maybe it was a registration issue and i decided to reconfigure the second windows service into another tier: "Blah"

After doing this I checked in the agentLog.txt and found this:

2018-04-25 15:40:28.2571 10348 AppDynamics.Coordinator 1 11 Info ConfigurationManager GetProfilerConfiguration [pid:10512 processName:myWindowSerivice appPoolId:] returns a matched standalone profiler config.

Now no matter what I attempt it keeps adding these two applications into the same tier while the third application registers fine.

My question is now how do I reset this application so that it will register into the correct tier I allocate? Is this a bug with the Agent? Is this a bug with the controller?

Forgot to mention I'm using AppDynamics Version 4.4.2.1, build 114. The Agent is version 4.4.3

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
AppDynamics Team

Re: Standalone application not registering into the correct Tier

Hi Ronald,

Can you please try providing the full path of the executable in the standalone section like below example.

<standalone-application executable="c:\myWindowsService-1-2018.04.25\myWindowsService.exe" command-line="myWindowsService-1">
<tier name="Service.WindowsService 1" />

Thanks,

Venu.

Highlighted
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Re: Standalone application not registering into the correct Tier

Hi @Ronald.Weng

Were you able to reset your application by using the suggestion provided by @Venu Babu.Thangallapelli?

Let us know how it went and if you have further question.

Thanks,
Radhika P

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.