cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Fabric Project

tudor.pastor
Builder

Hi,

I was waiting for a long time for version 4.4 since we use a .Net Core Service Fabric application in Azure with a bunch of Stateless and Stateful Services running across multiple nodes.

Now I have followed this documentation https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Install+AppDynamics+for+Azure+Service+Fabric 

and I also read a bit here
 https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/PDF+Documentation?preview=%2F43910190%2F45484022%2F4.4.1_...

and I can't seem to make it work. The documentation seems a bit ambiguous to say the least. I am in need of advice in getting appdynamics up and running. I might be doing something wrong, but don't know what. I have added the nuget package via Visual Studio, and even got this nice little pop-up asking me for info about our controller, which I filled in for every service.

One thing i noticed is if I rename AppDynamicsConfig.json, the build breaks.
Secondly, I might not have placed the dll files where I should have. Should they be where the service manifest is? Visual Studio creates a folder called AppDynamics where all the dll and json files are. (under each service)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15

Cody.Naumann
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi @tudor.pastor -- I wrote that documentation with some help from a developer. Let me ping him and see if he might know what the issue is. Sorry you're having trouble -- let's get you going and then fix the docs, if needed.

Cody

Cody.Naumann

Hi @tudor.pastor,

I talked with our .NET developer and it appears that you installed our NuGet package in the project using Visual Studio, which is not supported yet. Please download the package manually using a browser, then extract it to a folder as a zip archive. After that, follow the instructions for Service Fabric, which includes manually copying/pasting the files.

I'll update the docs to reflect this.

Thanks,

Cody

Hi,

I see. It was wrong to assume. I removed everything via Visual Studio and am adding everything manually, BUT I still have some difficulty understanding which folder is which and where I should actually place the files. I have attached a screenshot of ONE stateful service and the folder structure. Which one is the "code package folder that contains the executable"(or in other words where should I place the .dll files and such)? I also had an error, previously, when renaming the "AppDynamicsConfig.json" file. I think Appdynamics was still looking for a file with that name. How do we handle that?

Cody.Naumann

Hi @tudor.pastor,

I'm assuming that the code package folder that contains the executable you want to run is the executable of the application that you want to monitor using AppDynamics, but let me check on that.

If renaming the .json file breaks the build, can you rename it back?

Let me do some research on my end and will get back to you.

Cody

Cody.Naumann

The code package folder that contains the executable is the executable of the application you want to monitor.

Have you tried renaming your .json file back to the original name?

Cody

Hi,

Renaming the .json back to the original name fixed the build but the controller still isn't receiving anything. How can one debug this? Are there appdynamics logs kept somewhere if I run the application locally?

Cody.Naumann

Hi @tudor.pastor sorry for the delay in my reply. I'm trying to get you some additional help. Did anyone else reach out to you?

Hello. I appreciate it. No, not yet. :)

Raunak.Mohanty

Hi Tudor,

We are trying it out internally and will update you soon. Apologies for the delay here.

Thanks,

Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.