cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object Instance Tracking (OIT)

abantly
Builder

Hello community.  I am new to AppDyn.  I'll try not to ask homework questions.  To understand AppDyn better I wrote a custom C# application with performance monitoring enabled.  In my AppDyn application I was able to add a custom class so I picked the main class in my application.  My app was designed to be degenerate so that AppDyn could have something to complain about.  The problem is that when I look at the top classes that were monitored I don't see my class.  I monitor memory usage and AppDyn connects to the C# application.

Can someone answer the question of why my class doesn't show up in the list?

4 REPLIES 4

Ashish.Singh
AppDynamics Team

Hi abantly,

When you enable object instance tracking for a node, AppDynamics analyzes the heap to identify classes with the most instances on the heap. AppDynamics tracks the top 20 .NET framework classes and the top 20 application classes based upon the number of instances.

If you want to track a class that doesn't appear in the top 20 on the Object Instance Tracking tab, you can configure a specific class to track.

1. On the Object Instance Tracking tab, click Configure Custom Classes to Track to navigate to the Configure Instrumentation > Memory Monitoring tab.
  2. Click Add.
    The Create New Instance Tracker window opens.
  3. Leave Enabled checked.
  4. Enter the fully qualified class name for the instance to track.
  5. Click Save.

For more details, pease refer the following document - https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Object+Instance+Tracking+for+.NET

Please let us know, if it helps or you have any question.

Thanks,

Ashish.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

I figured out how to add my custom classes to AppDynamics.  AppDynamics isn't recording any data on the classes though it records data at the tier level.  For example I have an App class, App.MyURL, App.MyCPU, etc...  Do those look like fully qualified class names?

The solution to object instance tracking is to define custom .NET classes and specify them using a plus sign (+) instead of a period (.).   For example:  App+MyClass

Hello, those instructions didn't work and I was already familiar with OIT and custom classes.

It never detects an instance count and the directions for IOT and POCO is very vague.

I've attached the config.xml, app.config (from my .NET application), and screen grabs of the configured OIT