cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.Net Core Application isn't being monitored

ehendrickson
Explorer

Hello,

I have multiple services that were written with .Net Core, and they don't seem to be picked up in AppDynamics. Other applications on the server do get picked up, however they are 4.5. Is this a known issue? If not, what information should I include to show the nature of the issue?

4 REPLIES 4

Raunak.Mohanty
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi,

Applications built on .Net Core are not yet supported and is work in progress. Only Asp.net Core web application built using Full .Net Framework can be instrumented as of now via Custom Configuration.

Let us know if above is the case and we can help you out.

Thanks,

Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

ehendrickson
Explorer

Hi Raunak,

Sorry for not being more clear, but the application is Asp.net Core and is using the .Net framework. When you're referring to custom configuration, do you mean the rules for business transactions will have to be created manually and will not be automatically discoverable?

Any documentation on the process for doing custom configuration wih these types of apps will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik

Raunak.Mohanty

Hi Erik,

Thats great news. So basically you will need to edit the config.xml and add standalone app config using following document

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Configure+the+.NET+Agent+for+Windows+Services+and+Standal...

So for example your Asp.net application name is WebCoreApplication you should see an exectable by the same name. Your configuration will look like following

<standalone-application executable="WebCoreApplication.exe">
      <tier name="WebCoreAppTier" />
</standalone-application>

Once you add above configuration recycle Agent Coordinator service and Web App. This should allow the tiet to register. Once the tier gets registered you will need to define POCO rules of type .Net Class and Method

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/POCO+Entry+Points

For example if this is MVC application you will need to create POCO on Controller classes and methods

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Raunak.Mohanty

Hi Erik,

Jus to add to my previous update you can create following Custom Match Rule which will automatically split the BTs based on Controller names

Class Equals Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Controller
Method Equals OnActionExecutionAsync
Name MVCCore
Splitter Use the Simple Class Name in Transaction Names

Ofcource you have the other option of creating Custom Match Rules on each Controller class and Method as  well.

Thanks,

Raunak