cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.Net App Agent Metric Data Point (Metric Browser)

Dietrich.Meier
Architect

Hi

We constantly have clients asking us to explain some of the metric names/types seen in the Metric Browser and still do not have precise answers. Hope someone can assist on this. 

Does anyone have a different explanation for the Obs, Sum and Count Metrics seen in the Metric Browser for an App agent?

This page from the documentation, for example describes Obs as "ObsThe observed average of all data points seen for that interval", but if you are looking at one point on the graph for Calls Per Minute, then there can in reality only one metric value, or one actual number.
If the agent reports 73 calls per min as the metric for a point in time, then what would the other data points be reporting for that exact same point in time? This is not clear to me. 

Similar issue with the Count metric. If we are looking at the graph and seeing 1min intervals of data, see graph below, then what does it mean if the Observed value is 73, but Count is 3?
To me it would make sense if the count was always 0 or 1, meaning that at that one point in time the agent reported x number of calls per min as a value/metric, or it reported nothing, but this is not the case. 

Image 005.png

3 REPLIES 3

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Dietrich.Meier,

I have passed this along to the Docs team. I will report back what I hear from them.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Same issue here.
Is there a clear description about indicators ?
Thanks for your help, Vincent

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Dietrich.Meier and @vincent.canon,

I heard back from a coworker. This info is related to the image that @Dietrich.Meier shared, but I hope it helps shed some light.

I have looked at the link above with a screenshot of a BT Average Response Time (ms) metric from the Metric Browser. I see the following numbers:

20/07/22 11:03:00 AM

Observed: 73

Min: 68

Max: 83

Sum: 220

Count: 3

What it means is that during one minute (11:02:00 to 11:03:00) the Agent collected 3 ART metrics which means that a BT was called 3 times during this minute (if you check Calls Per Minute metric it should also show Count = 3).

The minimum value of ART during this minute is 68ms, the maximum - 83ms and the average - 73ms. The sum of all ART values is 220ms and that's why the average is 220 / 3 = 73.(3) 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.