cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to easily view all the Remote Web Service and Database calls in a Dashboard or in any other view

Abhinav.Galodha
Architect

We have an application which makes remote service calls and database calls. It would be helpful to know how to create a dashboard to list all the outbound or remote service calls and their metrics like volume of calls and response time. Could you please suggest how to view such data ?

7 REPLIES 7

ashutosh.tripathi
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi,

If you want to create a dashboard, you can use custom metric for that to populate the data. You need to select following custom metric and that will show the details about the backend calls.

Overall Application Performance|<Tier Name>|External Calls

Regards,

Ashutosh

Abhinav.Galodha
Architect

Hi Ashutosh,

I explored this option, but it seems to give the cumulative data of the outbound calls for that tier and doesn't provide visibility into each unique URL. I need to identify each unique outboud URL which exist in different Tier which is part  of another application in the AppDynamics.

Could you please suggest how to get the data for each outbound unique URL ?

Thanks,

Abhinav Galodha

Hi Abhinav,

It seems you want to monitor the remote services. Please refer the document
at below link:

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Remote+Services

Regards,
Ashutosh

Abhinav.Galodha
Architect

Hi Ashutosh,

The Outboud service is also instrumented as another application in AppDynamics. So, i believe Remote Services might not help here as Remote Service displays the Services which are not instrumented by AppDynamics. 

Thanks,

Abhinav Galodha

ashutosh.tripathi
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

In that scenario, you can create service end points based on URIs. Please refer to following document.

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Remote+Services

Regards,

Ashutosh

Hi,

I am trying to do something similar (report on a remote service) but I need to do more than report on average response time. I need to know each time the response time for the remote service exceeds a baseline/sla. for example. A business transaction has multiple services and remote service, I need visibility one of these remote services whenever a response time exceeds for example 500ms.

Possible?

Any one here able to instrument/Dashboard on outgoing / exit calls,

that are actually going to another application instrumented by AppDynamics too ?

These calls are not detected as remote calls anymore and I dont know how to include that in my dashboards.