Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Tiers Manually via Appdynamics Agent Configuration

Indrajit.Shah
Builder

Hi,

My previous question is on below url

https://community.appdynamics.com/t5/NET-Agent-Installation/Unable-to-delete-an-Net-application-form...

Over there is got an reply but i am confused on how to perform the seond step, and with that i have one more question so please scroll below :

over there as mentioned the following steps

Step 1. Remove configurations from config.xml file(located at C:\ProgramData\AppDynamics\DotNetAgent\Config )

Step 2. Then Recycle AppDynamics Agent Coordinator Services and Application I am Instrumenting.

I just want to know how do i perform the 2nd step you mentioned and Some how i am able to delete the Aplication i wanted to delete but when i checked the config.xml file I see some Application site and Tier Name in the .xm; that I am not using but somehow its getting created.

Screenshot attached : The field marked are those tiers i am not using but its still in config.xml

image3.JPG

one more help needed with that,

Previously when I had setup the .Net Application to monited from Appdynamics Agent Configuration(application), I had seleted the Automatic option for Tier generation and Assignment and as i know by selecting Automatic, the tool will create the ties, but now I am selecting Manual option for the same .Net Application and created the tier name after deleting all the previous tier names and click on next and so no to completed the process, but the issue i am facing is that,  even after doing it Manual i don't know how all the tiers are getting created those which where present in Automatic.

Please see the screenshot Attached the one marked red is the one coming again and again even after deleting and yes there are even many tiers created fo the Applications that's are not even present in IIS.

image.JPG

Hope i able to elabrote you my issue

Regards,

Indrajit Kumar

Shah, Indrajit Kumar
8 REPLIES 8

Venu Babu.Thangallapelli
AppDynamics Team

Hi Indrajit,

The statement --> "Step 2. Then Recycle AppDynamics Agent Coordinator Services and Application I am Instrumenting." means that you would need to restart the below services on the server in the same sequence.

1. AppDynamics Agent Coordinator service.
  2. IIS and Standalone applications/Windows services (if you have configured any).

To answer your 2nd question, the Configuration wizard will get those tier names from the Controller and will display in the list. So, you can simply ignore those tiers in the wizard and complete all the steps. Once you complete the wizard, it updates the config.xml file with the only tiers that you selected to instrument. 

Once the above step is done and the once Agent started reporting the metrics to the configured tiers, you can logon to the Controller UI and delete unused tiers manually by right clicking on the tier name.

Thanks,

Venu.

Thanks for your reply.

For 2nd question reply:

I tried doing it Manually as you can see on the both screenshot of i created those tiers manually and keep assigning the nodes but still I keep seeing those Tiers in config.xml in both of my servers (i have load balancing servers).

please note : i am performing the same steps to both the load balancing servers.

I keep on tried deleteing the extra tiers mutliple times but its still coming back in both the load balancing servers.

Reagrds,

Shah, Indrajit

Shah, Indrajit Kumar

Raunak.Mohanty
AppDynamics Team (Retired)
Hi Indrajit,

Can you pleaser share with us the config.xml after removing the Controller host and account details and let us know the name of IIS applications which are still showing up ?
Usually this happens when Agent is still hooked into the process so a IIS reset is required after making configuration changes.

Thanks,
Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Raunak,

Thankyou for your reply, I had deleted the Tiers from UI and can see the same effect on agent configuration and i hope its just fixed.

Now few more issue are knocking :

1. I can't see my all applications under manual of Appdynamics agent configuration where as all those are present in IIS.

please see the screenshots, in IIS i have many application under one sites(DIS) but in other hand you can see Appdynamics is showing me only few of them.

Untitled.png

2. in the same screenshot you can se some on the applitions are grayed and i am unable to assing those to any tiers. for example see (v5/Finance/EDI/GPPOLine), but there are many which are grayed.

Hope i am able you keep  my points and questions.

Regards,

Shah, Indrajit Kumar

Shah, Indrajit Kumar

Hi Indrajit,

Could you please verify if Web.config file is present in those applications folders which are appearing as Grey? Configuration wizard only can identify if Web.config file present in the application deployment folder.

If the Web.config file present in the folder. Could you please go to the Agent installation folder and then locate to the "AppDynamics.Agent.Winston.exe.config" file. After that enable the below setting value to True in this config file as below.

<setting name="EnableFullDepthIIScan" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>
</setting>

After the above changes, now run the configuration wizard again and then check the behavior.

Let us know if it helps or you have any question.

Thanks,

Ashish.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hi,

Can I able to create multiple Application in UI for same IIS.

Can I create tiers and assign diffrent nodes of the same IIS without effecting other tiers??

Regards,

Indrajit Kumar

Shah, Indrajit Kumar

Raunak.Mohanty
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi,

Please find the answers inline

Can I able to create multiple Application in UI for the same IIS.

ANS : No you cannot use Agent configuration tool. You will have to manually edit the config.xml

Can I create tiers and assign diffrent nodes of the same IIS without effecting other tiers??

ANS : Not sure if I understand the question. You cannot assign node at the Configuration Tool. Node names are auto-generated. In case you want to provide node name, you will need to modify the config.xml directly.

Thanks,

Raunak

Thankyou Raunak for your reply.

Actually may be I was not able to keep my question properly.

What I menat or what i want to ask is that :

1. Can we able to create multiple application for same IIS ??

for example :

I have created 2 Application(Appdynamics application) one is Finance and another is HR

Now I am creating Tiers of the Finance and assigning the nodes to tiers of Finance and completed the setup for the same.

Now I am creating Tiers of the HR and assigning the nodes to tiers of HR and completed the setup.

Please note I have created and assiginged Application and tiers and nodes in the same IIS server as my sites are hosted in one server not in two diffrent server and agent is also installed in the same server.

that means for Finance and HR the AppDynamics App name is diffrent and so do the tiers and assigned nodes.

What actually happening wit me is that when i am assinging tiers and nodes for Finance and complete the setup and created the HR and assigned the Nodes to tiers i can see the from UI that both HR and Finance tiers and nodes are reporting in HR, when i check the config.xml i can see only HR apllication only and all the Tiers and Nodes are under that application only, what i want is to seperate Finance and HR as the tiers i created and assigined to them are diffrent and they should report to their respective AppDynamics App.

Please see the screenshot:

issue while creating new Application in exesting IISissue while creating new Application in exesting IIS

Regards,

Shah, Indrajit Kumar

Shah, Indrajit Kumar