cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can AppDynamics monitor .NET services which have no HttpContext or obvious entry/exit points?

peter.wood
Explorer

Good day - 

I'd like to use AppDynamics all of our Windows services.  A number of these have no external entrypoint (REST or WCF), they run on timers and perform tasks; internally they are all custom code, with no ASP.NET, WCF etc.  I cannot seem to get the AppDynamic agent to register information about them.  Can someone give me some guidance?

What I have done is:

1) Configure them (using app.config files etc) to be picked up by the agent.  On the website I can see them registers as services, but no data is being logged.

2) I attempted to register custom entry/exit points in the AppDynamics portal using the Transaction Detection page, but the only call showing there for these services were some low-level .NET Framework APIs which aren't meaningful to me for monitoring.

Hence my question: can AppDynamics monitor code like this, and if so how?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Raunak.Mohanty
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi Peter,

We should be able to get the BTs identified via Custom Match Rule of type .net Class/Method. You just need to identify the Class and Method which the timer invokes and set POCO on it.

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/POCO+Entry+Points

Thanks,

Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.