cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APP AGENT AVAILABILITY ALERT

soundarajan
Maker

Hi Team,

I've tried to create an Custom alert to get notified when APP Agent goes down. So i created an Custom Health rule and gave threshold value as like in attached snapshot.

But it does throw alert even when APP Agent is not down (Say when agent is up for some 88% also it trigger alert mail).

Coudl some one please advise how to configure alert to get notified when app agent is down. Thanks

Regards,

Soundarajan

7 REPLIES 7

gurmitsa
Architect

For a given node and an agent, the app agent availability will either be 1 (when the agent is up) or 0 (when the agent is down).

In your case since you have the warning condition as <2, it will always be triggered even when the agent is up.

You will also have to change that to be <1.

Again, i am referrring to that metric at individual node level and not the tier level.

Thanks.

Hi Gurmista,

Thanks for your response.

Will configure the alerts based on your suggestion and update you.

Regards,

Soundarajan

Hi Gurmista,

I've configured the alert as per the suggestion with threshold values ( < 1  ).

But i received few alerts for yesterday , when i go and see in Tiers & node tab , it shows availability as 78% for that  timeframe.

Is that correct or i need to workaround on anything related to this.

Could you please advise on this.

=> I expected when the App Agent Status % went to zero it'll trigger a alert.

Raunak.Mohanty
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi soundarajan2,

That sounds right to me. The percentage you are seeing is relative to time you have selected at the UI. But HR is evaluated for the time you have configured for evaluation. 

So if  you have selected last 5 mins and the agent has not been reporting for last five mins it will fire the HR.

Let ms know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Raunak,

Thanks for your response !!

Time frame which i see in UI is the range when alert got triggered to my mail , so i thought at that timerange agent status will be 0% thats why i got alert received.

I thougth it'll show 0% for agent status in Tier and node tab, but it shows some 70% around as status , thats why i doubt whether i'm getting valid alert or false.

Regards,

Soundarajan

Raunak.Mohanty
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi Soundarajan,

Look at App Availability metric for the tier/node at Metric browser and that should help you identify the time frame when Agent was not reporting.

This metric is a boolean type so at node level you should see either 0 or 1. If it is 0 for x period of time you will see the violation and that is expected

Thanks,

Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Ramanesh.V
New Poster
Can we have a personal conversation regarding this,I have the same doubt.. since you are clear with all the replies from others.. its better I clarify my doubt with you.