cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Java - licensing JDK

Tim.Vruwink
New Poster

Hello -

What version of Java/JDK is AppDynamics licensed to use with their software WRT to agents?  There's some concern with Oracle lawyers going after organizations using their Java JDK software.  Does AppDynamics have a license/agreement with Oracle?  Can we use OpenJDK, or Corretto instead?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Tim.Vruwink,

Please check out this Java Supported Environments AppD Docs page for more info: https://docs.appdynamics.com/22.2/en/application-monitoring/install-app-server-agents/java-agent/jav...

Let me know if this clears things up.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Thanks for the info Ryan.  I'm looking that page over...

I should clarify:  What version of Java is the actual agent using?  Not what we are trying to monitor (java application for example), but what the actual agent is installed/running as? That's where the licensing concern is for us...

For example, Would we be able to use Corretto JDK, in the agent install, vs what is default?  Please let me know if I'm not making myself clear.

Thanks

Hi @Tim.Vruwink,

Thanks for your patience while I was able to ask the right people. Here is the info I got.

"The latest versions of AppDynamics Java Agent support both regular OpenJDK and Amazon Corretto. AppD does not bundle any JRE/JDK with AppDynamics Java Agent. The AppDynamics Java Agent leverages the JVM on which the customer’s instrumented applications are running. So as long as the customer’s Java application is running on Oracle JRE/JDK which has been appropriately licensed from Oracle, we do not have any issues. However, if the customer’s Oracle JDK/JRE is not licensed, the risk will be for the customer, though there is no risk for us in AppDynamics, as we do not bundle any JDK/JRE with AppDynamics Java Agent. For any agent that needs a JRE to run (i.e AppDynamics Machine Agent), we bundle JRE from Azul Zulu OpenJDK, so this will have nothing to do with Oracle Java License." 

Thanks,

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Dear @Ryan.Paredez ,

Thank you so much for the explanation, Can u please do 1 more clarification that it is clear that machine agent is not bundled with Oracle JDK/JRE, But i want to know that what about the Appdynamice product itself  which is installed in Appdynamics Server. i.e paths are below.

/data1/appdynamics/platform/product/jre/1.8.0_262/

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hello @System.Admin,

Sorry I'm a little confused, what is the exact question you are asking?

Thanks,