cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage license use per application/team

edahl
Producer

We have 100 JVM licenses and 10 ephemeral dockerized JVM applications each with 100 instances. So, our 100 licenses do not cover the 1000 JVM instances.

What is the best way to manage this? Ideally each app has 10 instances running with AppD instrumentation.

My plan is to create 10 License Rules, one for each app, allowing them to have up to 10 licenses and configure each instance of the app to have the AppD agent. I want to verify that this will work well.

Concerns:

- If we simply add the JVM options to every app instance, when there are no more licenses available for that app (10), it'll simply continue to run without any issues, right?. AppD would just be completely disabled for that instance, right?

- When an instance is destroyed, will its license be released immediately?

- When an instance is destroyed, will one of the other instances be able to automatically pick up that license or will they need to be restarted?

- Is it possible to more granular than "Application". For example, can we limit license use by Tiers within an Application?

Thanks for any advice

2 REPLIES 2

gurmit.arora
Architect

Hi Edahl,

My answers inline

- If we simply add the JVM options to every app instance, when there are no more licenses available for that app (10), it'll simply continue to run without any issues, right?. AppD would just be completely disabled for that instance, right?

Yes, that should be the behavior, though i have not tried.

- When an instance is destroyed, will its license be released immediately?

The license is released when there is not data for 5 mins (https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Historical+and+Disconnected+Nodes#HistoricalandDisconnect...

But in your case if the instance is destroyed the license should be released immediately.

- When an instance is destroyed, will one of the other instances be able to automatically pick up that license or will they need to be restarted?

I am not tried this but i think the way agent works it looks for license on start so it will have to be restarted.

- Is it possible to more granular than "Application". For example, can we limit license use by Tiers within an Application?

I dont think, you can limit by each server though.

Thanks

Gurmit.

Radhika.Puthiyetath
AppDynamics Team (Retired)