cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Machine agent ( without Server Visibility ) consume licenses?

Glen.Green
Creator

Hi All,

I have a number of APM Any Language licenses.

If I allocate 2 Any Language license to one team, will they be able to monitor 2 JVMs and also monitor their 2 servers - using the Machine non-server-visibility agent, or will I have to allocate them 4 licenses ( 2 for their JVMs plus 2 for their Machines )?

Remember - this is for non-server-visibility Machine agents.

Thank you,

4 REPLIES 4

Daniel.Ross
AppDynamics Team

Hi Glen,

how are you doing? :-)

Assuming that you mean by "allocate license to a team" that you create a dedicated license rules for them.

If you only assign 2 "Any APM" units to the team they are not able to monitor the hosts with the "Machine non-server-visibility agent". You need also to assign the 2 "Machine agent" units to make it usable.

Does that answer your question?

Best,

Daniel

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Daniel,

I'm good, thanks.  And it's good to hear from you.

Thanks for your reply, but the issue runs a little deeper...

I have some server visibility machine agent licenses in the same license file as standard machine agent licenses.

When I try to set-up a rule, I am not presented with a choice of "Machine Agent" type.  Mt feeling is that when I create a new rule and select "JAVA" and "Machine Agent", it will always allocate a server-visibility license to this rule.

I am looking to see if there is a way to choose what type of Machine Agent to allocate to each rule.

Any thoughts?

Hi Glen,

good to hear that! :)

Can you please provide a screenshot and your current version?

Best,
Daniel

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Daniel,

it is version 4.3.8.5

Screen shots attached show that I can only select from the 500 Machine agents even though I have 150 Server-Visability and 500 standard ( these are temp licenses BTW ).

I have a feeling that if I assign 1 of the 500, AppDynamics will allocate server-visability until the 150 server-visibilty licenses are exhausted.  I want to be able to select either Standard or Server-Visible depending on the rule I am creating.