cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I manage existing runtime agents with new Universal Agent Installation

Chitresh.Agarwal
Adventurer

So I heard about Universal Agent and its benefits. We are doing a POC to see if it works for our organisation.

My question-

1. I currently have multiple run time Agents running on a VM and have never installed Universal Agent. Could I install Universal agent and manage the existing Agents.

2. Could I manage multiple UAs installed on multiple VMs using just one runbook on the controller. 

3 REPLIES 3

Narendra.Chaluchalamala
AppDynamics Team

Hi Chitresh,

Please find the response below for the concerns raised.

Q1 : If applications were already configured with AppDynamics agent and in running state, then no need to install Universal Agent. If you have plans of upgrading the agents to newer versions , then we suggest you to install UA and configure the rulebook to associate agents to the applications.

Q2 : Rulebook is a part of Universal agent , and not a part of controller. So, if you are installing Universal agent on multiple VMs , then rulebook is mandatory for each UA installation.

Hope it clarifies the concerns.

Thanks

Naren

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Naren,

re the rulebook, my understand was the agent first looks for rule book under its local directory and if it does not find one, then it will check under the controller repository to see if there a rule book, is that correct?

Though we can have one rulebook at the controller level, within that we need to have separate rules for each host.

Please let me know if my understanding is not correct.

Thanks

Gurmit.

Hi Gurmit,

The rulebook is determined based on mode set on Universal Agent. It can be set to "local" or "controller".

Depending on this the rulebook can be picked up.

Doc#

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Universal+Agent+CLI#UniversalAgentCLI---set-mode[local|co...]

Thanks

Naren

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.