cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arun.Dasetty
AppDynamics Team

The following FAQ is specific to non-High Availability Controller environments. 

For production Controllers that will not start, contact Support and include the Controller logs located in the installation directory.

Questions

Question

I completed the Controller installation, but the browser response shows a 404 error. How to I resolve this?

Answer 

Usually, this issue is due to a typo in the Controller URL.

Example:

http://appdyProdServer:8090/controller

https://appdyProdServer:8181/controller

Question

I can not reach the Controller URL from other machine using the host name/DNS provided during controller installation. The installation was a success, and messages in the <Controller_install_dir>/logs/startAs.log file indicate that the domain started just fine. How do I proceed?

Answer 

First, check if the host name used for the Controller installation is mapped in the Controller host's file.

In Linux machines, this is located at /etc/hosts and in Windows machines, it is located at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts. It's generally a good idea to take a backup before making any changes. Next, if the mapping entry exists in the host file, check if there are any firewall or proxy rules that are blocking access to the host.

Question

Why does a 500 error appear in the browser after restarting the Controller? 

Answer

This may be the same issue as outlined here: Why does the Controller take longer to start when App Server and MySQL are restarted? 

Question

Why are there no logs in the <Controller_install_dir>/logs/server.log file, apart from a JVM arguments list, and the following error message: "There is a process already using the admin port 4849"? 

Answer

First, ensure that no other processes are using port 4848 with the command netstat -a  | grep 4848 in the machine's command line.

Then check if the Controller host name entry exists in the operating system host file. In Linux machines this is located in the /etc/hosts directory. Take a backup before making any changes.

Question

The operating system restarted abruptly, and now the Controller UI is not loading. How do I resolve this?

Answer

Plan ahead to avoid sudden operating system shutdowns by adding a Controller Stop script to the operating system shutdown process. This will stop the Controller before the OS goes now, which will ensure proper Java and MySQL shutdowns. 

Example procedures:

Linux: Execute a command before shutdown
Windows: Run a script just before shutdown or reboot on Windows Home edition

It is also recommended that users validate if the Java processes and MySQL have both shutdown. Linux users should run commands ps -ef | grep java or ps -ef | grep mysql. Windows users should check Task Manager.  Do not kill any processes, and contact support if there is only one process for Java or MySQL. 

If the processes are running, just wait. If both processes are not running, start the Controller MySQL process, then start the UI process. Windows users can do this via Task Manager. 

Linux users, run the following commands:

shell> cd <Controller_install_dir>/bin
  shell> ./controller.sh stop-appserver
  shell> ./controller.sh stop-db

shell> ./controller.sh start-db
  shell> ./controller.sh start-appserver

If the UI still does not start, contact Support with the Controller log files.

Question

Why can't I reach the Controller port? I see that the server.log files have activity, the Controller-related processes are running, and I can ping the Controller host, but the port is not reachable.

Answer

Check the server.log files for the following message: 

Network listener http-listener-1 on port 8090 disabled per domain.xml

If the port was disabled on a recent restart, first take a backup of the domain.xml file (located at <Controller_install_dir>/appserver/glassfish/domains/domain1/config/) and run the following commands:

/opt/AppDynamics/Controller/bin/controller.sh enable-http-listeners
/opt/AppDynamics/Controller/bin/controller.sh stop-appserver
/opt/AppDynamics/Controller/bin/controller.sh start-appserver
Version history
Last update:
‎09-14-2018 10:13 AM
Updated by: