cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amit.Jha
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Symptoms

If the Events Service is not stopped gracefully before restarting the system, or if the Events Service process is killed abruptly, the Events Service start will fail. The Events Service log will have the below entry:

ERROR] [main] [c.a.common.framework.AbstractApp] Severe error occurred while starting 
application [events-service-api-store]. Shutdown procedure will commence soon
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to create file 
[/opt/AppDynamics/Controller/events_service/bin/../events-service-api-store.id] to store the process id because it already exists. Please stop any currently running process and delete the process id file

Diagnosis

A graceful shutdown of the Events Service results in clearing the events-service-api-store.id. At the next startup, this file is created again by the Events Service. When the Events Service is shut down abruptly, this file is not removed so, during the next startup, the Events Service will not be able to create this file. This causes the start-up failure for the Events Service.

Solution

Remove the events-service-api-store.id file located in <EventsServiceHome> directory and then start the Events Service process.

To avoid this scenario, always perform a graceful shutdown of the Events Service.

Comments
Christopher.Berger
New Poster

After our system had an outtage the described issue occured, thanks for the public solution.

Jeanie.Kedia
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Thanks for the feedback @Christopher.Berger. Any additional tips or comments you could add here?

saurav.kosankar
Adventurer

Hi Team,

I am not able to start my event service, I am getting error while executing the task.

Post redacted for security and privacy concern.
Claudia Landivar, Community Manager

Version history
Last update:
‎11-05-2020 01:17 PM
Updated by: