cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonah.Kowall
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

How do I troubleshoot missing tiers or metrics in an AppDynamics Controller when using SAP?

This article guides you through how to troubleshoot two types of AppDynamics for SAP issues: a missing tier, or missing metrics in the Controller.

In this article…

Why might an AppDynamics Controller that’s monitoring SAP be missing a tier or metrics?

How do I troubleshoot a missing tier in an AppDynamics Controller? 

How do I troubleshoot missing metrics in an AppDynamics Controller?

Additional Resources

Why might an AppDynamics Controller that’s monitoring SAP be missing a tier or metrics?

Causes of missing tiers and metrics

An SAP tier may be missing due to a number of reasons, including (but not limited to):

• Incorrect time range chosen in the Controller
  • SAP system is down/unresponsive
  • Integration is disabled
  • HTTP SDK is not running/ unresponsive
  • Network issues
  • Invalid configuration of /DVD/APPD_CUST
  • STRUST certificate expiration

Other causes of missing metrics

In addition, missing metrics might also be caused by:

• Disabled Datavard Insights connector
  • Datavard collector jobs are failing/dumping(1)
  • Remote system misconfiguration(2)
    (e.g., PI, WebDispatcher, stand-alone HANA DB, etc...)
  • The Machine Agent is not running
  • Misconfigured Datavard profiles
    (i.e., metrics removed from a custom profile)
  • Incorrectly configured security roles(3)
  • SAP system type/KPI mismatch

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES: 
(1) See the Knowledge Base article How do I stop the ABAP Agent from causing system dumps?
(2) See 
Setup Monitoring of External Systems with Datavard Insights which includes a sub-page for each remote system type
(3) See SAP Authorizations for Security role configuration instructions

How do I troubleshoot a missing tier in the AppDynamics Controller?

To troubleshoot a missing tier in an AppDynamics Controller, try the following strategies:

1. Is the monitored SAP system running?

First, check to see if the monitored system is running and available to be logged into. If the monitored system is not running, and/or it is not possible to log in, the system may be down. 

Contact your SAP Basis team so they can verify whether the system is running.

1. Check transport requests

Check to see whether all transport requests were imported in the correct order, and that none of them ended with a return code of 8 or greater.

1. Is the AppDynamics integration active?

REFERENCEActivate or Deactivate Integration under Set Up SAP ABAP Agent in the documentation.

1. Is the ABAP Agent causing runtime errors?

To ascertain whether or not the ABAP Agent is causing runtime errors, check ST22.

1. Are the Controller and SDK settings correct?

Check to see whether Controller and/or SDK settings are correct via t-code /DVD/APPD_CUST.

REFERENCESet Up SAP Netweaver Systems documentation

1. Is the HTTP SKD installed and running correctly?

Check to see whether HTTP SDK is initialized (connected to the Controller) correctly:

In newer releases, t-code  /DVD/APPD_STATUS will show dedicated error status for failed initialization. 

For older versions, this can be checked via HTTP SDK logs accessible via the Logs button on each node row via t-code /DVD/APPD_STATUS.

REFERENCEStart the AppDynamics HTTP SDK page under SAP documentation

How do I troubleshoot missing metrics in the AppDynamics Controller?

To troubleshoot missing metrics, check the Datavard Insights integration:

1. Make sure that the tier is correctly registered and reporting in the Controller.

2. Make sure that a valid Datavard Insights license is installed.
    If you need to install the license, see the Install License for Datavard Insights documentation.  

3. Execute the /DVD/APPD_CC transaction to open the Select Insights KPI for AppDynamics screen. Here you can verify whether the Enable AppDynamics Insights connector box is checked.

4. If it’s not checked, enter edit mode by clicking the Display <-> Change button in the menu bar and enable it. Save the changes, then check to see whether the metrics have started replicating from Insights.
    Verify that the Enable AppDynamics Insights Connector checkbox is checked. If it isn’t, enter Edit mode, check the checkbox, and make sure to save your changes. Then, verify you’re seeing metrics appear in the AppDynamics Controller.Verify that the Enable AppDynamics Insights Connector checkbox is checked. If it isn’t, enter Edit mode, check the checkbox, and make sure to save your changes. Then, verify you’re seeing metrics appear in the AppDynamics Controller.

5. Check to be sure that Insights Collector jobs are running via t-code /DVD/APPD_DI_CON or /DVD/MON.
    REFERENCE | Start Performance Collectors under Set Up Datavard Integrations documentation.

Additional Resources

Comments
Claudia.Landivar
Community Manager

This revision is a long-awaited change from the last version of the article. In considering the information, I pulled the information pertinent to dealing with ABAP Agent-caused system dumps into its own separate Knowledge Base article. 

You can find it here: How do I stop the ABAP Agent from causing system dumps? 

I hope it's helpful to those who need this information! 

Claudia Landivar
Community Manager & Editor