cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Erin
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

How do I troubleshoot installation and startup errors when installing a new Agent?

Table of Contents

Agent Installation Errors

When installing a Machine Agent, how do I handle an initialization error? 

I get the following error message when installing a Machine Agent. How should I proceed? 

Failed to find Premain-Class manifest attribute in /usr/share/appdynamics/machineagent.jar
Error occurred during initialization of VM

The error message shows that the Machine Agent jar was used as a Java Agent.

>java -javaagent:d:\AppDynamics\installs\3.5.6\MachineAgent\machineagent.jar -version
Failed to find Premain-Class manifest attribute in d:\AppDynamics\installs\3.5.6\MachineAgent\machineagent.jar
Error occurred during initialization of VM.  Agent library failed to init: instrument

1. Verify the command being used to start the Machine Agent.
  2. Follow the documentation to Install the Machine Agent. 
  3. Open a separate command prompt and start the Machine Agent using java -Dmetric.http.listener=true -jar machineagent.jar command.

Can I install the AppDynamics Database Agent without using the wizard?

Question:

Is there a way to install the AppDynamics database agent without the wizard, such as configuring the installation XML files? I want to monitor a client but am having trouble when installing the Agent. I cannot log in to the DB from outside the network and opening up the listener port on the DB for me right now is an issue. Is there a workaround?

You do not necessarily have to install the Database Agent on the database server. The Database Agent can reside on any server as long as that server can communicate to the database host. See Database Visibility System Requirements

I'm having trouble installing a PHP Agent. What steps should I take?

After PHP Agent installation there are a few cases when the Agent does not report to the Controller. Refer to the PHP Agent installation troubleshooting guide for the basic troubleshooting steps that verify the installation and place the Agent configuration files in the proper place. 

Is it possible to deploy an agent using Puppet?

Every deployment is different,  so this task doesn't lend itself to a single master Puppet script maintained by AppDynamics. However, this Agent deployment using Puppet sample can help you get started on your own Puppet module.

Back to  Table of Contents

Agent Upgrade Considerations

What are the steps to upgrade a Mobile Agent?

See the steps to upgrade iOS and Android here: Upgrade iOS SDK and Upgrade the Android Mobile Agent 

Where can I find information on how to upgrade an Agent? 

The following documents provide the requirements and steps for upgrading an agent:

Back to  Table of Contents

Resolving Agent Start-up Errors

How do I resolve the Analytics Agent failure to start, with a NoSuchMethod error message?

My Analytics Agent fails to start and throws the following error message. What steps should I take?

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: io.dropwizard.logging.LoggingFactory.bootstrap

This error message is normally caused by the presence of a duplicate jar file from a different version of the Analytic Agent. This duplication can occur when the user unzips a new version of their machine-agent.zip file into the same directory where the older Machine Agent resides.

The solution is to take a backup of the old agent, either delete or rename the Machine Agent, then unzip the new machine-agent.zip

My Analytic Agent fails to start and logs show it failed to connect to the Controller endpoint

Analytics agent failed to connect to the controller registration endpoint.

This issue occurs when using a self-signed certificate for the Controller. The Analytics Agent uses a truststore for the JRE to validate the certificate of the connecting server. The truststore does not have self-signed certificates added to the store by default.

Import the client certificate to the JRE trust store, which is located in the Java directory used by the Analytics Agent by default. Example: JAVA_HOME/lib/security/cacerts  

More Troubleshooting Guides

First  published 2/26/2018

Comments

What type of agent is required to install a java agent in Weblogic application server. 

Claudia.Landivar
Community Manager

Hello, Everyone:

In the past, you may have seen the term "Standalone Machine Agent", which we've recently discontinued in favor of simply "Machine Agent".  Just want to make sure you know they mean the same thing.

Claudia Landivar
Community Manager & Editor
AppDynamics

Version history
Last update:
‎09-06-2023 04:10 PM
Updated by: