cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom-activity-correlation.xml vs custom entry and exit points configuration in controller UI

rraju1990
Adventurer

I can configure custom entry and exit points in controller UI, and then I can also do the same thing in agent side in custom-activity-correlation.xml. Can you please let me know the purpose of these two things? Do we need to do at these two places or only confiuring in controller UI is enough?

I'm trying to monitor some frameworks which are not out of the box supported by Appdynamics. So I will need to use custom correlation to inject GUID to the transactions. Do you have detailed documentation on how we can configure custom-activity-correlation.xml? There seems to be many configuration elements and possible values, but I'm unable to locate any documentation that explains these. 

Regards

Raj

3 REPLIES 3

Peter.Holditch

Raj,

The difference between configuring entries and exits in custom-activity-correlation.xml vs custom POJO entries or exits via the UI is simply the ability to inject and recover correlation headers, which can't be done via the UI.

Usage of custom-activity-correlation.xml is described in this community article.

Warm regards,

Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thanks, Peter. 

That means I will have to configure entry/exit points in one place only, that will be custom-activity-correlation.xml in my case as I will have to inject correlation header. Please correct me if my understanding is not correct. 

Regards

Raj

Raj,

That's right, unless you want to do some elaborate transaction naming at POJO entry points which may not receive an incoming correlation header.

Warm regards,

Peter.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.