cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

controller-info.xml XML encodings

abantly
Builder

I recently began an effort to automate monitoring of an application.  I ran into a problem where the machine agent service would start and then stop.  The log file said it was unable to read controller-info.xml.  My C# application was using an XmlDocument to load and save the XML.  I discovered that it was saving as UTF-8 with BOM.  The oringal controller-info.xml was saved as UTF-8 w/o BOM.  This small change prevents the machine agent service from running.  When I fixed the encoding it started working again.

My issue is that any agent service should be capable of handling XML whether it has a BOM or not.

3 REPLIES 3

Atyuha.Pal
AppDynamics Team

Hi,

Could you please share the machine agent log to debug the issue further.

Thanks,

Atyuha

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Here is the log.  To replicate, use notepad++ and edit controller-info.xml.  Change the encoding to UTF-8 and then restart the machine agent service.

Hi.

We have seen same issue in the past when the xml file is opened with certain XML specific editors.

Also can you download the agent again and edit controller-info.xml with vi editor and let me know how it goes? 

Thanks,

Atyuha

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.