cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this metric represent : JVM --> Threads --> Current No. of Threads - when using IBM WebSphere?

Ashley.Lewis
Maker

The Java Agent for IBM WebSphere collects the following metric by default

Metric Browser --> Application Infrastructure Performance --> <TIERNAME> -->JVM --> Threads --> Current No. of Threads

What does this value correspond to in IBM WebSphere? It seems to be constantly increasing on our environment and I've seen values going up to 9000. However, this is not equivalent to the Thread Pools and the equivalent Thread Pool Count that we see in WebSphere or through JMX against particular Thread Pools.

So what does this metric actually represent?

Learn more about me in the Community Member Spotlight Q & A
3 REPLIES 3

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi Ashley,

I did some digging and found this information.

The Current No. of threads metric is fetched as JMX metrics (it's not computed by the javaagent). The Mbean object which is used to fetch the metric is - java.lang:type=Threading.
Returns the current number of live threads including both daemon and non-daemon threads. (total number of threads in the JVM)
Refer:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/management/ThreadMXBean.html

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

@Ryan.Paredez 

Is there any way to identify the daemon threads and currently active ones alone. I use jvm agent and the ones that are no longer in use vs in use will be helpful 

Hi @Mytri.K,

I don't have an answer to that question. If I find any relevant info, I will be sure to share it. If you happen to find anything, please do share it back on this post. This information can be helpful to others who may have the same question. 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.