cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transaction tracing in Elasticsearch

johnmac
Producer
Hi, I m trying to trace transaction on elastic-search (installed in windows) using Appdymics java agent jar. While starting elasticsearch with Appdymics java agent jar, i m getting "java.security.AccessControlException" in different place. For further details, Please find the attachment.
10 REPLIES 10

gurmitsa
Architect

Can you confirm that the user id with which the agent is running has access to the elastic search application/filesystem.

Hi Gurmitsa,
            Thanks for your response. For your information, i trying to trace Standalone Elasticsearch server which installed in Windows 8 box with JVM Arguments {JVM Args : -Xms4g | -Xmx4g | -javaagent:E:\AD\AppServerAgent-4.4.0.21351_elastic\javaagent.jar | -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC | -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75 | -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly | -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch | -Xss1m | -Djava.awt.headless=true | -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 | -Djna.nosys=true | -Djdk.io.permissionsUseCanonicalPath=true | -Dio.netty.noUnsafe=true | -Dio.netty.noKeySetOptimization=***** | -Dio.netty.recycler.maxCapacityPerThread=0 | -Dlog4j.shutdownHookEnabled=false | -Dlog4j2.disable.jmx=true | -Dlog4j.skipJansi=true | -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError | -Delasticsearch | -Des.path.home=C:\aServers\elasticsearch-5.5.2 | }

I think our java agent jar should had permission of Elasticsearch file system.

I have couple of questions,

1. How should i make sure our Java agent jar have permission for Elastic file system in windows ?

2. Does Appdynamics support Transaction tracing of Standalone Elasticsearch server like Tomcat? If yes, Is there any specific parameter or  config to pass in JVM arguments?

I have to give special permission for AppDynamics jar.

Like This,

grant codeBase "file:\* AGENT_DEPLOYMENT_DIRECTORY \*/-"
{
    permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

I do not know where i have to give. I tried this on Java "Jre/lib/security/java.policy ".But, No luck.

Tell me, is there any startup settings for Elasticsearch like IBM websphere.https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO42/IBM+WebSphere+and+InfoSphere+Startup+Settings

Hi John,

I am not an expert for Eleastic Search but the policy should not be set for the default java.

May be this link will help:

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/2.2/modules-scripting-security.html

Thanks,

Gurmit.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Link that you have specified is for Lower versions of Elastisearch. Anyway,

Now, my Appdynamics agent jar UP and running using below security policy.

grant codeBase "file:E:/AD/AppServerAgent-4.4.0.21351_elastic/-"
{
   permission java.security.AllPermission;

permission java.io.FilePermission "*","read,write,execute";
   permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "setContextClassLoader";
};

Here, i could see only JVM,JMX related metrics in the Appdynamics UI.

chrome_2018-02-01_15-08-59.png

I could not find any Elasticsearch dashboard or Tranaction related metrics in the UI.

chrome_2018-02-01_15-11-51.pngchrome_2018-02-01_15-11-15.png

I want to see code level tranasaction snapshot and code level profoling for Elasticsearch in the UI like below.

appD graph.png

Is there any official documentation for Elasticsearch transaction? Please, advice me to figure our code level treacing.

Hi,

I am trying to do the same on elastic running in linux. Were you able to get app data into the controller?

Regards, Karel

Hi,

We are trying to instrument elastic search running as windows service but was not able to see any java options. Can you please let us know how you instrumented the elastic search?

So, did you find a way to see a flowmap of elastic in the AppD ui? Is it possible at all?

hello.
Do you find out how to get transaction data into Appdynamics UI for monitoring ElasticSearch?

Or even an official statement that it isn't possible?

TIA
Guilherme