cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for KOTLIN

John.Barrett
Explorer

Hi,

Can anyone tell me please if AppDynamics provides any support or extensions for applications developed and delivered in KOTLIN?

9 REPLIES 9

Peter.Holditch

John,

Is your Kotlin code on the server side, or in a mobile application?

So far, we have had almost no asks for kotlin support on the server side, so we have not investigated what out-of-the-box configuration the language and its frameworks might need.

That said, like other JVM-based languages, it should work, given appropriate configuration of custom entry points and the like.

Warm regards,
Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thats fine - thats all I need to know at the moment. Thanks.

Rohde.Fischer
Creator

Well then let me add a voice for Kotlin support One point in adding more official support is also keeping in touch with the upcoming market. That your current customers have not asked might be fine for them, but more and more new projects are developed in Kotlin, so by the requests you haven't gotten might be due to people finding another product and thus never voicing there wish.

Rohde,

Can I ask what kind of server-side projects you are developing using kotlin, and which frameworks you are using?

Warm regards,
Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Due to NDA restrictions, I can't say much about the kind of projects I'm working on, but hopefully, I can describe enough.

We are working on REST services using normal APIs with JSON payloads. Currently, there is a web frontend, but it is intended for system-to-system usage in the long run.

The main frameworks (and services, not sure how relevant they are though) we are using are: Spring Boot, Flyway, Slf4j/Log4j2, Postgresql, Jackson and Gson. And yes, no Hibernate (thanks sanity)

If relevant, it's intended to be deployed using a Red Hat-based OpenJDK docker image.

I hope it's enough to help. I will try to answer to the best of my ability, but as it figures, the NDA puts a lot of limits.

// Rohde

Minor revisions for clarity and formatting
C. Landivar, Community Manager & Editory

what about Gradle Kotlin DSL in android studio the groovy Gradle (JAVA as you mentioned in the docs ) script not working on Gradle Kotlin DSL

Claudia.Landivar
Community Manager

Hello, @Shehab.Osama 

I'm wondering if you had seen this information about instrumenting Android apps with Gradle? Not sure whether it will answer your question. Will you let us know here?

https://docs.appdynamics.com/appd/21.x/latest/en/end-user-monitoring/mobile-real-user-monitoring/ins... 

Warm regards,
Claudia Landivar, Community Manager & Editor

Hello, @Claudia.Landivar

the problem is solved by adding closure in Gradle kotlin kts 

adeum {
           account(closureOf<com.appdynamics.android.gradle.ADPluginExtension.Account> {
            this.name ="xxx"
            this.licenseKey ="yyy"

})
        proguardMappingFileUpload(closureOf<com.appdynamics.android.gradle.ADPluginExtension.ProguardConfig> {
            this.failBuildOnUploadFailure = true
            this.enabled = true
        })
    }

please update your documentation for this case, KTS is spreading now in Android development community 

Claudia.Landivar
Community Manager

@Shehab.Osama 
Thank you much for calling attention to this need for revision in Documentation. Wanted to let you know that we've reported it to the Docs team. We'll report back here.