cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of benchmarking of application before customer shipment

I want to use Appdynamics to benchmark the application performance and use it compare on my intermittent builds as well as subsequent releases. 

Can you please let me know how this can be done using Appdynamics ? 

I have come across a feature " Compare Releases" but am not able to find documentation for the same. 

can you please help me ?

5 REPLIES 5

Megha.Sharma
AppDynamics Team

Hi Udaya, 

Thanks for writing to us.

On this page:

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Metrics+and+Graphs#MetricsandGraphs-CompareReleasesTool

There is a section that reads:

Compare Releases Tool

The compare releases tool lets you view the "before and after" effects on performance from the changes you make in your application environment. It puts the performance data from two timeframes side by side, so that you can easily compare performance differences.  

To use the tool: 

1. In the left navigation pane of the Controller UI, under More, select Compare Releases.
  2. Set the time ranges to compare from the Time Range drop-down menus in both panes.
  3. Select the entities to compare in the Select What to Compare panel.
  4. Select the metrics that you want to compare from the View drop-down menu.
  5. Click Compare.

Compare ReleasesCompare Releases

Let me know if this helped you.

Thanks,

Megha

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Megha - 

Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to label a timeframe with a Tag. Say "Golden Baseline for PI 3.5". 

This way , any person working on testing a PI 3.6 release can compare with the baseline ? 

After 6 months or 1 year , it is very difficult to remember the timeframe when the baselining was done.

Hi Udaya,

You can create a create a custom time range for the required timeframe and save it for future use:

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 5.23.14 PM.png

You can find some more information on Time Ranges in the UI at - 

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Controller+UI+Overview#ControllerUIOverview-TimeRangesint...

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 5.29.08 PM.png

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Megha

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hi Megha,

I am not able to find this compare release option in AppD 4.5 is it removed from latest version or i am missing something ? please let me know how to enable this thanks.

@Megha.Sharma wrote:

Hi Udaya, 

On this page:

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Metrics+and+Graphs#MetricsandGraphs-CompareReleasesTool

There is a section that reads:

Compare Releases Tool

The compare releases tool lets you view the "before and after" effects on performance from the changes you make in your application environment. It puts the performance data from two timeframes side by side, so that you can easily compare performance differences.  

To use the tool: 

1. In the left navigation pane of the Controller UI, under More, select Compare Releases.
  2. Set the time ranges to compare from the Time Range drop-down menus in both panes.
  3. Select the entities to compare in the Select What to Compare panel.
  4. Select the metrics that you want to compare from the View drop-down menu.
  5. Click Compare.

Compare ReleasesCompare Releases

Let me know if this helped you.

Thanks,

Megha

Megha.Sharma
AppDynamics Team

Hi Ankur,

The Compare Releases feature has been deprecated in 4.5.9 release (April, 2019).

See, https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/AppDynamics+Application+Performance+Management+Platform+N...

Please reach out to your account manager if you have any concerns with the feature deprecation.

Thanks,

Megha