cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java agent not reporting to controller

Hello,

We have manually configured java agent by adding the required JVM Args to a stand-alone Java App

-javaagent:/ms/dist/esm/PROJ/appdynamics-agent/4.2.11.0/java_sun_jrockit/ver4.2.11.0/javaagent.jar

-Dappdynamics.agent.runtime.dir=/var/tmp/appdynamics

-Dappdynamics.controller.hostName=dev-controller

-Dappdynamics.controller.port=8090

-Dappdynamics.controller.ssl.enabled=false

-Dappdynamics.agent.accountAccessKey=xxxxxxxx

-Dappdynamics.agent.accountName=customer1

-Dappdynamics.agent.nodeName=ivapp-dip

-Dappdynamics.agent.tierName=dip-Tier

-Dappdynamics.agent.applicationName=DIP-DEV

We could see the agent started successfully message in the agent log. However, can't see the agent reporting to the controller. A batch job invokes the application process. appdev team says, the job every time starts the process also restarts JVM

Wondering, why we still couldn't see the agent reporting to the controller

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Peter.Holditch

Are you sure you do not even see the JVM registered under the "tiers and nodes" view?

If you don't, look in the agent logs for connectivity issues.

If you do, the problem may be that you need custom entry points for the agent to detect Business Transactions.

Also note in general, BTs are built with the assumption that they will be called repeatedly, an entry point called once and once only will not collect transaction statistics.

Also, take a look at the page about monitoring short lived JVMs

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hello,

Thanks for the response.

I don't even see the Application that i created in the controller, to try create custom entry points.

No connectivity errors in the logs. Can agent start with connectivity errors? (Agent log attached) . I can se the tier and App names picked up correctly

Also, adding "‑Dappdynamics.cron.vm=true" would make any difference?

Regards,

That looks to be the applicaton log.

You will find the agent logs in the

/ms/dist/esm/PROJ/appdynamics-agent/4.2.11.0/java_sun_jrockit/ver4.2.11.0/logs/ivapp1098162.devin3.ms.com-amtprocess-dip

Directory

agent.<JVM-starttime> will contain the information necessary to debug

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Sorry, that was my mistake. i'm waiting for the agent logs from the admin team, as we dont have access to the hosts

However, now i could see the application appearing in the controller but BT no BT wasn't registered. Came to know these are spring beans , so i had enabled automatic detection of spring bean detections under 'Transaction Detection' and also have created a couple of custon rules using spring bean entry point type.

Looks like the batch runs just once a day, so i'm going to leave this for a while and check if any BT gets registered with the new changes made.

It sounds like things are workig then.  Only when entry point instrumentation is hit by a flow of transactions will you see nodes appearing on the flowmap.  Nodes that are idle, or are doing work that is not downstream of an entry point, will only appear under "tiers and nodes"

Please let us know if your nodes appear when the load is applied.  If not, you will likely have to place some custom POJO entry points.