cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java APM - should i see where the calls originate?

Chris.Bevan
Adventurer

So I've used other APM tools before and calls into a java agent instrumented process usually show up on the map as 'user' or the like - i.e. identifying the source of the call.

Just started with Appdynamics but with just the JVM agent set up I dont see this (a 'start' reference appears on the first segment being hit). Do i need end user monitoring configured too?

These calls are coming in via an haproxy, anything I could do with that?

4 REPLIES 4

Peter.Holditch

Chris,

AppDynamics APM agents are orientated aroud identifying, measuring and alerting on server side activity.  In our model, the server side activity is classified into Business Transactions which are tracked end to end through the architecture.

If yours is a web application, and you want to track the user experience all the way from the end user's device, then you will indeed need to deploy end user monitoring agents to capture the client side perspective (which of course, links to the server side activity to give true end to end visibility.

Warm regards,

Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick response.

For browser based applications the plan will certainly be to instrument EUM.

I guess my question is, where applications have api interfaces and calls are system to system, would EUM provide any details as to source?

At present, I'm looking at linking up individual services. In the flow map I see backend services (that dont have agents installed) but it's not always clear where ingress is occuring.

Chris

Chris,

EUM requires an agent on the client side, so doesn't sound like a fit for this use-case.

What information is available to you as to the source of your API requests?

If you plan to use getRemoteAddr() or that family of APIs to identify the caller, you could collect that data using a data collector. to populate it into snapshots.

If you want to slice and dice transaction performance by client, you could do this with our transaction analytics capability.

Warm regards,

Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thanks,

I'll probably look at the datacollector option if the information is deemed necessary.

You've answered my original question in respect to EUM though.

Regards,

Chris