cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JMS Message Queue Entry Points on Flow Map

Charles.Kelly
Discoverer

In the 4.5.x documentation the diagram below depicts a flow map with message queues serving as an entry point to an application (actually the same queue acting as both an exit point for one and an entry point for another - classic pattern).  We have several Java applications with JMS Message Queue Entry Points. These entry points are detected by the default BT detection rules.  However, these entry points do not show up on the flow maps.  Can anyone point in the right direction on how to accomplish this or is it not possible (even though it's shown that way in the documentation)?

conceptsflowmap.png

3 REPLIES 3

Peter.Holditch

Keith,

Queues are currently only depicted on the flowmap if they are downstream of a BT entry.  The queue you see in the picture from the documentation is between the E-Commerce-Services and Order-Processing-Services tiers, and is part of a BT that originates in the E-Commerce-Services tier.

I hope that clarifies what you are seeing.

Warm regards,

Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thanks Peter.  I'd really like to show the end-to-end flow of asynchronous business transactions that begin in one tier and traverse one or more tiers with message queues as the integration layer.  Do you happen to know if I can do that by going through the effort of defining the demarcator of the transaction's end-point? 

Keith

Keith,

You should be able to do that today, if I am understanding you correctly.  The only thing that you would not see visualised would be the JMS queue upstream of the 1st tier containing logic.

You can, as you suggested, have the last agent in the chain make an end to end latency calculation for the BT configuring an asynchronous transaction demarcator on the last tier that will be involved in the processing.  It is most reliable to use the method instrumentation method to define the logical endpoint.

I hope that helps.

Warm regards,

Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.