cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I 'clean up' a Java agent install

Chris.McKenna
Producer

All,

We have a Java agent installation included in our host images. What are the best practices for creating an clonable agent install that can be used dynamically start up the agent on different? Should we use ENV vars or Java system properties with a startup script?

What if we need to update the agent? Are there references to 'other' files that need to be considered? Like init.d startup scripts? The documentation just says archive the old and copy in the new. This seems awfully simplistic. Are there other dependencies that should be taken into consideration that may not be documented?

5 REPLIES 5

gurmit.arora
Architect

Hi,

You will have to update the controller-info.xml file that has the information about your controller if you are using that file.

Also, if you are using ssl and have used your self signed cert then you may also have to update that.

Other than that, it is simple, yes !

Lim.Park
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Best practice would be to put any "static" content in the controller-info.xml file and any "dynamic" content as environment variables or system properties that can be managed/configured at deployment time. If all the agent properties you use are available as either environment variables or system properties, there is nothing stopping you from completly managing them via the environment variables or system properties if you have means to do so as part of your provisioning/deployment process. Also keep in mind there is "agent.properties" file that can be utilized as well.

For agent upgrades, any setting you have put into the config files will need to be "merged" or reconciled with the new version when you drop that in. If only using environment variables or system properties, then, I think you probably don't have much to worry about in this aspect :)

Only thing that comes to my mind is the path to javaagent.jar

like if you are using /opt/appdynamics/javaagent_home/verxxx/javaagent.jar then you will have to update that.

The other way is to create a sym link to verXXX directory each time you install a new version and use this symlink in the path to javaagent.jar in your configurations.

spanishtoenglish02

You will have to update the controller-info.xml file that has the information about your controller if you are using that file.

I find this tool pretty helpful: Javascript obfuscator

Thank you for the response. I'll give the ideas a try.