cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not connect to the controller/invalid response from controller

i've started having trouble with our agent a few days ago. I cannot send data to controller.

An extract of the log file says:

^ Log files have been removed for security reasons by @Ryan.Paredez 

* Please do not share or attach log files publicly for security reasons.

It's been working propery for years now, and suddenly it stopped working. Please help. No changes occured on our side.

7 REPLIES 7

Eric.Miller
Architect

Can you check to see if your licenses have expired?

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

I've just checked and it seems license is still valid until Jan 2038 it says. In fact i can connect to my app dashboard but no metrics arrive there.

The agent somehow cannot send data.

I've tried updating the agent to check if anything was wrong and still cannot view data.

Previous Agent: ver4.1.4.3

Current Agent ver4.5.14.27768

global Config is the same.

However, on further look, I don't see Java APM license..... please have a look at the next info.

.NET APM Application Performance Management (APM)

0/5 license units

Oct 20, 2015 - Jan 1, 2038

Node.Js APM Application Performance Management (APM)

0/50 license units

PHP APM Application Performance Management (APM)

0/5 license units

Python APM Application Performance Management (APM)

0/5 license units

Browser Real User Monitoring End User Monitoring (EUM)

0/10,000,000 pageviews yearly

Oct 9, 2019 - Jan 1, 2020

Mobile Real User Monitoring End User Monitoring (EUM)

0/5,000 active agents monthly

Oct 1, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019

Database Visibility Infrastructure Visibility

0/5 license units

When accessing https://accounts.appdynamics.com/subscriptions/144536514467XIN/usage/java i can see that it worked until Oct 1st. 2019, after that it stopped working. Is it possible my Java APM License has expired? How can I check that?

It's entirely possible. You can check your licenses on the Controller GUI by clicking the Cog wheel in the top right and then clicking on "License" it should show what you have. You can also check to see if you have agents trying to report in and failing in the Controller Logs by clicking that Cog Wheel and then clicking on "Export Controller Logs" and checking the main log.

You can also log into AppDynamics Subscription portal here, and see what AppD thinks you have: https://portal.appdynamics.com/account/subscriptions

which is sounds like you did. If their subscription portal is telling you that your licenses expired then it's a safe bet your license.lic file you have uploaded onto your Controller Server is reflecting the same thing. That could block any app agent data from reporting in.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hi, 'im back. thanks for your answer.

I've checked in the controller gui as suggested and it says that I have 1 JAVA APM Licence which never expires and it's lite version.

It's currently not in use, or so it says the controller gui.

So i'm back to square one. Still getting the same log and cannot report, but upgraded my agent version. Will review logs again and set it to debug to gather further info.

I've checked again my logs and I have detected the following:

When metrics where being reported in the REST log file I had the following:

[AD Thread-Metric Reporter0] 17 ago 2019 17:01:40,206 INFO MetricSender - Sending REST request - URL [/controller/instance/2379/metricregistration]

... some data ...

[AD Thread-Metric Reporter0] 17 ago 2019 17:01:40,418 INFO MetricSender - REST Response Received - URL [/controller/instance/2379/metricregistration]

Now I only have the "Sending REST request" line, but I have no response.

[AD Thread Pool-Global1] 10 oct 2019 12:44:51,931 DEBUG ConfigurationChannel - REST - Sending Binary request - URL [/controller/instance/0/applicationConfiguration]

... some data ...

[AD Thread Pool-Global1] 10 oct 2019 12:44:52,642 DEBUG ConfigurationChannel - REST
Sending Binary payload Size : 72138 bytes

Hi,

We have checked it and the correct access key is used and it was working fine till 23rd march. There has been no change to config after that. In the controller, it shows license is available for the access key used. We can jump into a call and show config if that helps.

We work in UK hours, after 3 PM BST  would work for us 

^ Post edited by @Ryan.Paredez for formatting. 

Hi @ravindra.gowda,

Since this is an older Community post, I would recommend a few things.

1. Reask your question by posting starting a new thread and providing more context and information about your problem.

2. This is a peer-to-peer community; if you are looking to speak directly with Support, please go to www.appdynamics.com/support

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.