cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controller keeps waiting for data after showing 'Agent Connected' message despite applying some load on application

Fouzia.Khan
Explorer

Hi,

I have just started working with appdynamics to see how it monitors the application. I'm running a spring boot application on localhost (windows), I've follwed the steps given for Java application monitoring (downloaded agent installer, passed javaagent.jar to the VM, controller-info.xml does auto-contain correct controller-port, controller info and controller-ssl-enabled is set to true. In appdynamics display message says "Agent connected" but keeps waiting for data. I've applied some load on the application but it doesn't get data.
In logs there is no such message saying "Appdynamics controller connected successfully" or something. However, I saw this exception in logs:

Exception:

customer_1 | java.lang.NullPointerException
customer_1 | at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.AgentEntryPoint.getUARuleDirFromInstallDir(AgentEntryPoint.java:1916)
customer_1 | at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.AgentEntryPoint.determineAppAgentVersionToUse(AgentEntryPoint.java:1426)
customer_1 | at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.AgentEntryPoint.premain(AgentEntryPoint.java:557)
customer_1 | at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
customer_1 | at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
customer_1 | at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
customer_1 | at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:564)
customer_1 | at java.instrument/sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndStartAgent(InstrumentationImpl.java:510)
customer_1 | at java.instrument/sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndCallPremain(InstrumentationImpl.java:522)

This is how my docker file looks like:
FROM openjdk:10.0.2-jre-slim
COPY target/microservice-consul-demo-order-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar .
COPY appd .
ENV JAVA_AGENT -javaagent:appagent/javaagent.jar
CMD /usr/bin/java -Dlogging.path=/log/ -Xmx400m -Xms400m $JAVA_AGENT ${APPDYNAMICS_NODE_PREFIX:+-Dappdynamics.agent.reuse.nodeName=true -Dappdynamics.agent.reuse.nodeName.prefix=${APPDYNAMICS_NODE_PREFIX}} -jar microservice-consul-demo-order-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
EXPOSE 8080

I'm new to this tool and tried to look for a solution from other people's questions/answers but couldn't find so far. I am in doubt if the agent has successfully been connected despite showing the connected message. I'll appreciate if someone could guide me.

1 REPLY 1

Eric.Miller
Architect

First null pointer exception says it's not finding an entry point to kick off the agent. Since you're using Containers, the install is slightly different, this documentation may help you: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Deploy+Using+Containers

Also, if you're using SSL, make sure you're using the correct port.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.