cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caught exception that is logged as info treated as an Error

jeremy_compton
Explorer

Hello,

My team has a scenario where a frequently used API catches an Exception and logs it as an info (using log4j2).  AppD is showing this as a transaction error each time it occurs, although this is a benign exception.  My understanding was that exceptions are only treated as business transaction errors if they are uncaught or logged with level ERROR or FATAL.

Are there any other situations that would cause caught/info logged exceptions to be treated as errors?  The exception in question is a RuntimeException.  Do caught RuntimeExceptions still get treated as a business transaction error?

Regards,

Jeremy

2 REPLIES 2

Peter.Holditch

Exceptions that are thrown through instrumentation (i.e. thrown within a backend call and handled by the application code) will get detected like this.

You can configure the agent to ignore certain exceptions if required.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

In this scenario, it was not thrown by a backend call.  The code in question is contained entirely through the java service/application.

I plan to configure our Error/Exception detection to ignore this, but I wanted to validate that this is expected behavior.