cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a single appd java agent to monitor multiple tiers?

rraju1990
Adventurer

Hi,

I'm running multiple tiers (all JVMs) in my laptop, therefore trying to see if I can use a single Java agent to monitor all tiers? If it's not possible, can I use a single Java agent to monitor all the nodes in a specific tier? I will be using a custom POJO entry point and custom corelation as well. 

Regards

Raj

3 REPLIES 3

Peter.Holditch

You can use one agent installation to monitor as many JVMs as you like on a single server.

Just take care that you give each JVM a unique node name with the -Dappdynamics.agent.nodeName system property

Warm regards,

Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thanks, Peter. 

I haven't tested this yet, but clarifying it to be on the safe side. Custom correlation needs to be done differently per tier as far as I understood, so how do we do this if we use a single agent to monitor multiple tiers?

Regards

Raj

Just set the tier names for your JVMs appropriately, again with the system properties.

Tiers are entirely a logical construct; co-hosting JVMs makes no difference.

To be absolutely clear here, you have a single agent install on the filesystem.  Each JVM, however, will contain an independent running agent so from a runtime perspective you really have one agent per JVM

Warm regards,
Peter.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.