cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use AppDynamics to monitor application using JDK 1.6?

angelo.angeles
Explorer

I installed AppDynamics 15 day trial on a server which has JAVA_HOME set to 1.6.0_16.  The applications which I hope to monitor is also using the same JDK version.  Checking the server.log file, I get an error like so:

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: UnsupportedClassVersionError: Class com.singularity.ee.controller.beans.model.AHierarchicalConfigObjectPersistorBean has unsupported major or minor version numbers, which are greater than those found in the Java Runtime Environment version 1.6.0_16

I had a look at domain.xml and modified the -D.java.ext.dirs jvm-option to use the jre that came with the installation but it still doesn't work.  Can you give some other suggestions I can try out or will AppDynamics not work with the JDK version I'm currently using?

3 REPLIES 3

Mohammed.Rayan
AppDynamics Team

Angelo,

You can use the AppDynamics Java agent to minitor application that runs with JDK 1.6. Take a look at the below doc 

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO42/Java+Supported+Environments

On the error message you are getting currently, it looks like you have configured your controller to use 1.6 Java but note that by default, the Controller uses Java 1.7. and hence you need to allow the controller to make use of the embedded JRE

Take a look at the below docs

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO42/Install+the+Controller

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO42/Platform+Version+Information

Hope this helps

Regards,

Mohammed Rayan

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to get this running on Windows Server 2012.

There's an issue with the set-controller-java-1.* tasks in controller.bat where it adds an extra space at the end of the AS_JAVA value.

This causes a 'cannot find the path specified' error when running 'controller.bat start'. I had to manually remove that space for the script to proceed. However, even after fixing that I'm still seeing the same error in server.log when glassfish attempts to deploy the controller application:

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: UnsupportedClassVersionError: Class com.singularity.ee.controller.beans.model.AHierarchicalConfigObjectPersistorBean has unsupported major or minor version numbers, which are greater than those found in the Java Runtime Environment version 1.6.0_16 at com.sun.enterprise.loader.ASURLClassLoader.findClass(ASURLClassLoader.java:759) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)

Note that my 1.6.0_16 is currently set as my JAVA_HOME environment variable. Is there anything else I need to change?

Thanks, Angelo

There's a couple of  issues with the set-controller-java-1.* tasks:

• it appends an extra space at the end of the AS_JAVA variable.  This causes a 'cannot find the path specified' when running controller.bat start
  • It adds quotes around the install directory value which trips up the controller deployment process in glassfish like so:

set AS_JAVA="D:\\AppDynamics\Controller"\jre

Removing the quotes and the extra space at the end fixed the issues for me.