cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can AppDynamics tell me when a JVM was restarted?

Tracy.Martin

I am trying to see when a JVM was restarted in AppDynamics.  I went to Tiers and Nodes, and I clicked on a node.  I went to the events tab and looked at the day that I know it was restarted, but I do not see any kind of event telling me that the JVM was restarted.  Is this something that AppDynamics can do? Do I need to enable something to see that?

4 REPLIES 4

Eric.Miller
Architect

You were in the right place. If you click on "Applications" in the GUI, then select the application that JVM belongs to, and then click on "Tiers and Nodes", then expand the Tier out showing the nodes underneath, the very last column should be "Last JVM restart time."

I think the defaults are:

Name: - # of Nodes - Health - App Agent Status - App Agent Version - Machine Agent Status - JVM Version - Last JVM restart time"

If you double-click on the node name, you should also see this information under the "agents" tab.

A proactive way of doing this could be to build a health rule based on the JVM availability, and then under "Health Rule Violation Events" set the rule to trigger you when the event goes critical and when the event is "ended" and then you can get emails when the JVM is back up, or build a dashboard which shows the health rule violation timeline of what time it went critical and what time it came back up.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Is it possible to set an alert whenever JVM has restarted? If so please guide me with that. I could not find any such metric that would help the cause in the health rule section.

I would assume that the app->availability metric should work. if your jvm is down most likely your appagent will be as well. So custom entity->agent->app>availability, Less than 1 specific value.

AppDynamics generates an event whenever it detects a JVM restart, if you want to be precise (a quick restart could potentially result in the availability metric never reporting as zero)

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.