cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent not reporting any data to controller - AppD version 4.3.8

Shritha.S
Discoverer

Hello,

Can you please help me to understand the below different scenarios and how do I find out these scenarios using AppD controller, agent logs for a Java application.

1) Agent not reporting to controller

2) Agent is not collecting data from app server(considering application is running)

3) Application is down hence no data reported on controller

Eg: No application data is reported for particular time range on controller. Now how can I say that agent is up and fine but problem is with the application (could be down or no load at all for more than 2 hours) or Agent was collecting all data but not able to communicate to controller or agent itself was down.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Peter.Holditch

If the agent is reporting, it posts a value of 1 to its Availability metric (shown below in the metric browser for a node called WEB1_NODE in the ECommerce-Services tier of the ECommerce application)

You can build health rules and alert on this at the node level, to get notification when a node is not reporting, or a the tier level to ensure each tier always has a certain minimum number of nodes.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 09.41.15.pngso if you see a 1 posted in that metric, you know the agent reported.

For your cases 1 and 3, this wil be 0.

For case 2, it is extremely unlikely that this metric would be 1 and absolutely no other data would be reported from the agent.  That said, if it is 1 but you do not see Business Transaction activity that you expect within the instrumented node, then it is likely you are missing necessary entry points because your application is not running within a framework for which there is out of the box configuration.

Warm regards,

Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi,

Thanks for quick response. It was helpful.
Can you also provide information on 2 point.

I had already included observations about point 2, but I did not make that very clear. I have updated my initial reply to make it clearer

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thanks a lot