cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP monitoring Extension

Pablo.Jaña
Creator

Hi everyone

I'm new using AppDynamics and I need to know with which extension could I monitor one or more IP addresses? I need to get uptime and response time. I just need a ping.

These IP addresses could be from servers or networks components.

There is an extension for this?

Thanks in advance 

7 REPLIES 7

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi, @Pablo.Jaña 

You can explore AppDynmamics extensions by going here: https://developer.cisco.com/codeexchange/explore/

Please let me know if you were able to find an extension to help.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Thanks Ryan, but I forget to said that I already done that.

I could find a URL monitor that I will use, but I can't find or I do not know if one of the extensions of that list, could do what I need.

Hi, @Pablo.Jaña 

I asked around and was told the URL Monitoring would work, or you could use the Machine Agent 

Thanks,

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hi Ryan, and thanks.

I think that the URL monitoring extensión does not work for what I need. I need to get the uptime or availability of an IP or URL.

In our controller already exists some URL Monitoring extensions getting this, using the pattern match with a regular expression. But in this case, I don't have available a string to use.

Using the Pattern match you could get a metric called Count. The metric expresión it's  Sum/Count.

The expression indicates the relationship between the finding of the pattern and the number of observations. If the pattern is found, the metric is 1, otherwise, it is 0.

Availability Service=Sum of findings/Number of observations

Without the pattern, you don't get this metric.

You mentioned the Machine Agent. How can get the uptime of an IP using it?

Hi @Pablo.Jaña,

I asked around and it was suggested you reach out to AppD Support for some further help. 

www.appdynamics.com/support

You can even reference this post if you'd like. When you get a solution from support, can you please share the results here? Knowledge sharing is key to the success of the community.

Thanks,

Pablo.Jaña
Creator

I made my own extension for this, but I get this error:

[Worker-10] 13 Jun 2023 19:49:00,442 WARN MetricOutputHandler - Caught NumberFormatException due to invalid metric value: 0.558 It must be a valid long. Full monitor line: name=Custom Metrics|Server|ipMonitor_v2|Test_N|10.1.2.200|ResponseTime(ms),value=0.558

I see this topic asking about the same two years ago, there are any news with this? Any solution?

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Pablo.Jaña,

Thanks for expressing your interest in this. There has been no internal movement on the request. I would suggest you create a formal Feature Request on the Community Idea Exchange.

Thanks,