cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to monitor Linux IO utilization?

手塚.隆之
Builder

I want to monitor io utilization on Linux disk.

I want to monitor the same value as Disk Utilization output by Linux iostat command with AppD.

I check the metric browser in server visibility.

(ROOT/Individual Nodes/<Node>/Hardware Resources/Disks/<dev>/Avg IO Utilization(%))

The output is not the same by Linux iostat command.

Which metric is it?

^ Edited by @Ryan.Paredez clearer title

4 REPLIES 4

Brian.Wheeldon
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

According to https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Hardware+Resources+Metrics:

Avg IO Utilization (%): The average time spent processing read/write requests on all disks and partitions as a percentage of the total reported time window. Databases often report high disk I/O utilization due to frequent read/write requests. For example, if the agent detects read/write processing in 55 out of 60 seconds, the Avg IO Utilization for that minute is 92%. This metric does not measure the amount of available disk space or read/write request sizes.

Regards,

Brian Wheeldon, Solution Engineer, NYC

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

I know.
Is there a metric that shows the same value as iosat on Linux?

Brian.Wheeldon
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

I think you mean the Linux "iostat" command.

This command is described at http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/iostat.1.html and includes a CPU Utilization Report and a Device Utilization Report. Many of the metrics in these reports are collected and reported to the Controller by the Server Visibility Agent.

The CPU Utilization Report is covered by the Server Dashboard, and the Device Utilization Report is covered by the Server Volume Metrics.

Regards, 

Brian Wheeldon, Solution Engineer, NYC

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Customer's misunderstanding.