Infrastructure (Server, Network, Database)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosing a High CPU problem in .NET application

I have a web form application built on .NET Framework 4.0. So occasionally I get 99% CPU alert. Somewhere around the code I guess I might have an expensive loop or something that is causing this to happen. Now one cool thing that I like about appdynamics is that it shows me 99% at Machine Snapshots and I can also see the list of all Business Transactions that were involved around that time. However, this is not that helpful. How do I know, where in my code, which function is causing this to happen. In Business transactions tab, I do see a column called 'CPU used' in ms per each transaction (which can further have one or many calls/requests). So I guess this is an average. And if we calculate for all the total amount of transactions that were involved during this catastrophe, we might be able to find total percentage of the CPU consumed by a particular transaction, though I am again not sure if this will provide an actual amount of the OS CPU% consumption. But I want to know the ROOT Cause (be it function, loop, or anything) that is causing this to happen. Given the fact that we pay money to get AD license, I want to know whether we can, by using AD, pin-point to the Root problem that caused the high CPU. 

Thank you.