cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practise to monitoring Windows/Linux process (PID) or service

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I would like to know the recommended way to monitor some processes or services inside the OS.

Can this be achieved within a regular AppDynamics controller health rules, or do I have to search through extensions and try to find something in there?

For instance, if a service or process gets stopped I would like to have a health rule which would trigger an immediate event, put this on the dashboard etc.

4 REPLIES 4

Philip.Rogers
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi Bojan-

The "Process Monitoring Extension" will be your best bet here. 

https://www.appdynamics.com/community/exchange/extension/process-monitoring-extension/

With this extension, to alert upon a process which is no longer running, you would want to take the new "Running Instances" metric, courtesy of this extension, and send an alert when the value was "0". 

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, that's it then.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bojan,

Did you install process monitor extensions and is it working fine for you? I also have the same requirement like you. Please share your inputs on this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I just tried it quickly and it so happened that we did not have to use it after all. The customer requirements changed and because of that I didn't investigate further.