cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic Server installation account

Glen.Green
Creator

Hi All,

I am starting an installation of a Synthetic Server ( on-prem ).  I already have a Controller, Event-Service and EUM installation.

The Synthetic Server installation makes no mention of an installation account, that I can see.

Do I need to install under an application account or does it run under root ?

4 REPLIES 4

Radhika.Puthiyetath
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi @Glen.Green 

Thank you for posting your question on the AppDynamics Community.

As per the Install the Synthetic Server Documentation, you don't need to install the Synthetic Server as a ROOT user.

When you run the Synthetic Server installer, the`inputs.groovy` file that lists the users will update the EUM MySQL DB schema, so the user running the installer needs to be able to access the EUM MySQL database. It doesn’t need to be ROOT though. The ‘eum_user’ needs access to write to the DB, but it’s not updating schemas.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you have further queries.

Thank you for your confirmation.

...although I still can't see where it actually states what account to use for the installation ?

Radhika.Puthiyetath
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi @Glen.Green 

You don't need to be a ROOT user to install the Synthetic Server. That is the reason the doc did not specify an account. The account you want to use is at your discretion.

The only requirement is that installer needs to update the EUM Server MySQL database schema, and after the Synthetic Server is installed, it uses the `eum_user` user to write data to the EUM Server MySQL database. Thus, the `root` and `eum_user` user accounts of the Synthetic Server need access to the EUM Server MySQL database. The current documentation shows how to grant access to those two user accounts. The `inputs.groovy` file configures the two users `eum_user` and `root`, so after you grant access to the EUM Server database, you don't need to make changes to `inputs.groovy` to run the installer.

Note: The “root” listed in `inputs.groovy` is a MySQL user, not a machine user.

Hope it is clear. Let us know if you have further questions.

Thank you, Radhika,

All very clear now.