cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create an appKey when an application already exists?

Dennis.Caffi
Creator

How do I create an appKey for EUM after an application has already been created with the same name?

7 REPLIES 7

Mario.Morelli
Architect

Hi Dennis

Would you possibly elaborate on what you are trying to achieve?

Ciao

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Learn more about me in the Community Member Spotlight Q & A

OK, We have created an application called "test" and have a machine agent set up. We need to add EUM support to a web page using the same application name "test". In the web page we need to add the function(config) with appKey of say "XXX-XXX-XXX". If we look at the User Experience page we do not see a name of "test". If we try to manually add the application, we get an error saying "Invalid application name, an application already exists with the name "test".

Hi

That is how AppDynamics works, you cannot have 2 applications with the same name, across Normal Agents, EUM etc.

You can just name your EUM application "test_eum" or "test_web" or similar. It has no affect on the monitoring by not having 100% the same name. 

Ciao

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Well, I don't think that is true. We have a bunch of agents (machine, .net, java, EUM) all under the same application name. Makes for providing access to the reports much easier. It appears you have to create the EUM app name first, then you can create one under applications. Seems like a bug or design defect to me!

Hi Dennis

My apologies, I believe my previous reply was unclear.

I mean you can't create 2 application names which are identical between the different sections in AppD, The machine agent & App Agents are part of Core APM, and you can of course use the same application name to link all those agents together.

EUM is a separate component, and since Controller 4.3, it is no longer possible to use the same name under Applications & EUM.

This is by design, due to underlying Architecture.

Ciao

I beg to differ on this  We are running Controller build 4.5.17.2807 and we use the same name for EUM and Applications. This is so we can group our users with an LDAP group to see their stuff being monitored using the same name under both Applications and EUM.

Thanks,

Dennis

Thanks Dennis

Might have been a bug that allowed that in your current version that you are running for some reason:)

Due to you having dependencies with regards to your LDAP Groups, it would be best to reach out to AppD Support to advise what the best way would be to manage your requirements, to not run into any problems going forward.

Hope you get some good feedback

Ciao