cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking button click events in browser app

Shan.Thahir
New Poster

Hi,

Is there way in Appdynamics to track details such that which button the user has tapped in a single page application using Browser RUM ?

8 REPLIES 8

Chitra.Lal
AppDynamics Team

Hi Shan,

Not as of now; Our current EUM metrics are based on a Pages & AJAX based approach. We don't typically have a CLICK event. But we have this feature in the roadmap already but its not available in the current product versions. PM is working on prioritizing this so its gonna be part of the future releases but we have no timelines set yet.

However as a workaround what you can do is that based on your button clicks, initialize some variable and send that variable as a part of custom data in your application code. 
For example lets say I have a variable varClick. If the button 1 is clicked you can assign value "button1" to it and similarly "button2" or "button3" based on respective button.

Refer to the below do clin for how to add custom ser data to EUM pages:

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Add+Custom+User+Data+to+a+Page+Browser+Snapshot

Add this variable as custom data and report to eum. So eum will have these custom data as a part of page data. You can use filters in analyze tab to do a selective search of the data corresponding to button1 or button2 or button3.

Or in your application code, you could basically generate a VirtualPage (start and end) events as part of the CLICK_handler and that would show up as a Virtual Page navigation within the EUM UI. 

Hope this helps.

Thank You,

Chitra

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thanks Chitra for the reply. We are using Browser RUM in an Angular 1.4 Cordova application. I tried to refer how to integrate Browser RUM in a SPA, but couldn't understand much. Can you please help. Should we need to add any code snippet while routing ? How we will track by each page ? 

Hi Shan,

You can get the directions for instrumenting an SPA app in our standard docs; Given below are the links for spa 1 monitoring help as well as SPA 2 monitoring help. Please refer to the respective link as suited

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/SPA1+Monitoring

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/SPA2+Monitoring

Hope this helps. Feel free to write back in case you have queries. 

Thank You,

Chitra

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hi, just wondering is there is any update to this after 2 years

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Our current Browser RUM metrics are based on a Pages & AJAX based approach. We don't typically have a CLICK event. That said, in your application code, you could basically generate a VirtualPage (start and end) events as part of the CLICK_handler and that would show up as a Virtual Page navigation within the EUM UI.

Click Events are not explicitly monitored using the Javascript Agent unless they result in an AJAX call. However if making some custom changes is acceptable, you could intercept the clicks and report them as Custom Events using Javascript Agent APIs - https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Report+Events+with+the+JavaScript+API.

However at the moment, clicks will not be monitored out-of-the box for BRUM applications.

Thanks,
Chitra

How come you still do not have this feature when Dynatrace already has this as part of this product?

Hi @vamsi.venati,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this topic. While I cannot comment on why this feature is not there. You can see the comments above for some potential workarounds.

We also have a Community Idea Exchange where customers can share their feedback and other members can vote, and comment on ideas.

The Idea Exchange can be found here: https://community.appdynamics.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/idb-p/ideas

Please also read the  before posting.

Note: the Idea Exchange can only be accessed by AppD Customers. This does not include, Lite or Trial users at this time.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hello,

I am also looking for this feature, I read your reply about that and I want to ask you that currently is the feature being implemented in appdynamics or not ?

Actually I want to monitor button click events in my website. In other words suppose users visit my website and I want to monitor on which button the click the most.

So, thats why I am asking for this feature which you where talking about implementing since 2018.

Thank you