cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EUM Pages & Ajax Requests with no requests or browser snapshots

James.Lee
Builder

Hi everyone,

For EUM > Pages & Ajax Request, under the Filter you can uncheck "With Load", and this exposes for us a bunch of entries that contain no requests or browser snapshots tied to it. The date range is also long enough to show everything since we've started using EUM.

What are these entries and why would they have no data? I take it that it's there so it must mean that something is being captured from our app.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Mayuresh.Kshirsagar
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

The "With Load" check box when checked, will only show the pages which have any timing metrics available for the given time range.

So say there are 2 pages /A/B and /A/C and the time range is last 30 minutes, and "With Load" is Checked. Now assume that in the last 30 minutes there was a lot of load generated on the URL /A/B, but no one accessed /A/C within the last 30 minutes. With "With Load" Checked, you would just see /A/B listed out, with the metrics and call details.

If not you keep the timing the same - last 30 minutes, but now you selected "With Load" Unchecked. During the entire lifespan of EUM, the page /A/C was once registered with your EUM. However it doesn't have load for the last 30 Minutes. With "With Load" Unchecked, it will show you /A/B as well as /A/C in the output.

In short, irrespective the tie range selected, if you selected "With Load" Unchecked, then it will show you all the pages that are registered with EUM. And it wll decorate it with metric information thats available in the system (if any) for the selected time range.

Let us know if this answers your question.

Also please do check Accept Solution if you find this reply helpful.

Regards,

Mayuresh

Hi Mayuresh,

Thank you for the detailed response. What you said was what I had thought was the case too. Though, when I select the time range to something very long (e.g. 1 year), and the lifetime of our EUM app was only two weeks, with the "With Load" unchecked, I still see a lot of pages that have no metric information, and I'm wondering why there's no information (i.e. no browser snapshots).

Thanks.

Mayuresh.Kshirsagar

Hi Jlee,

When a new page is encountered for the very first time, EUM consumes the beacon to retrieve just the URL and register the page name. However for the very first occurrence, everything else is ignored. Hence when a new page is registered for the very first time, it will just be registered, but will not have any metrics for it. If say there is a page which has a unique id in its name, which will never repeat, this will cause a page to register, but it will never capture any meaningful metric ever, as the page will never reoccur. Can you please confirm if the pages that you find with no metrics have something unique in their URL?

If yes, then we would have to create a naming rule such that the segment with any unique value (random string, UUIDs, etc) will not be included in the naming.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards,

Mayuresh

Hi Mayuresh,

I see! That does make sense now. We do have a few pages/ajax with unique names in it that we're try to manage with naming rules, and now that seeing a lot of these are only in the "with load" unchecked list, it is starting to make sense.

Thanks!

James

Maturesh,

You said, "If say there is a page which has a unique id in its name, which will never repeat, this will cause a page to register, but it will never capture any meaningful metric ever, as the page will never reoccur."

Why is the first request not included in the metric / list of requests?  If it was, it would be much easier to see the exact URL and why any existing include/exclude rule regex doesn't match to it.

Thanks!

-- Matt

Mayuresh.Kshirsagar

Hi Matt,

This is how it was designed to keep the page registration lightweight.

Regards,

Mayuresh