cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser EUM installation

Ahmed.Khalil
Maker

Dears,

i have on-premies appdyanmics controller "with no access to the internet "and i want to configure it to monitor Browser EUM but i am very confused with steps that shall i apply, my Web applications is written in java and compiled using JSP what steps shall i do as per my understanding i shall do the below :

1) Create NEw RUM APP 

2) Configure my application through user experience app integration to automatic java script insertion 

but i need to know where shall i install RUM service and from where Application will take javascript that used to monitor application 

3 REPLIES 3

Chitra.Lal
AppDynamics Team

Hi Ahmed,

So first thing you need to do is install an EUM server locally. You can download the EUM server compatible to the version of your controller from here and then install it per direction here.

Working: The EUM Server receives data from EUM agents, processes and stores that data, and makes it available to the AppDynamics Controller. And your controller periodically pulls that data from the EUM sevrer.

To answer about where to install it, we have two modes of installtion supported for the EUM server; For demonstration and light testing purposes, the EUM Server can be deployed to the same host as the Controller, however for production, the EUM Server must be deployed to a separate host. Again the steps for both thes emodes of installation are providedin the doc link I shared above.

Its after you have completed the EUM server setup and your EUM server is up and running, you need to instrument your application to work with Browser RUM. So the steps here would be like what you mentioned,

1) Create New RUM APP 

2) Configure the application with JS agent. Again, here there are multiple ways how you can instrument your application pages with js agent so you need to choose based on applicability. For more information, see Configure the JavaScript Agent.

If you are sure you are going to use Automatic injection for your application, here are the steps for that just in case you haven't already read that. 

Let me know in case you need further information. 

Thanks,

Chitra

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

ok but may i know what's the use of reverse proxy and if it is mandatory in Local installation or not 

Hi Ahmed,

Are you referring to the reverse proxy front-ending the EUM server as mentioned in https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/EUM+Server+Deployment?

Reverse proxy can be useful in case:

1. You want to isolate the EUM machine and not expose it to the open internet

2. Terminate SSL/TLS on the reverse proxy and forward non-SSL traffic to EUM. This would take off SSL handshake responsibilities from EUM improving the performance slightly

However having a reverse proxy is not mandatory.

Regards,

Mayuresh