cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SharePoint List threshold Monitoring

Mervin.hapin
Creator

Hi,

Our team supports multiple SharePoint Apps \ Sites, We are starting to build AppDynamics on our SharePoint farms to proactively monitory our SP Applications. One of our idea is to monitor the SPList Item count to prevent SharePoint List Threshold issue.

Hope we could get some piece of advice if someone already did this on their own servers \ Controllers\ SP Sites.

Looking forward to start a discussion here.

Thanks in Advance.

6 REPLIES 6

Raunak.Mohanty
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi Mervin,

Apologies for the delay here. I suppose you are using .Net Agent to instrument your SharePoint applications.

I think we should be able to extract the value using Method Invocation Data Collectors or Info Point.

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Data+Collectors#DataCollectors-TypesofDataCollectors

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Information+Points

We will need to identify the class and method and associated property which can be used to extract the length of items in a SPList. And once we have the current count we can create a Health Rule on the metric which will get fired when a certain threshold is breached.

Thanks,

Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thank you so much, Raunak.

Yes, We are using .Net agent.

Agree on the Information Points option. However, If I have the identified the class\method that will provide me the count, when and how will be the trigger for the Information point to get the values?

Just want to get your expert opinion.

Thanks 

Raunak.Mohanty

Hi Mervin,

Apologies for the delay. I will just try and explain it with sample cade.

Assume you have code like this in your solution

Namespace 

Namespace SPSolution {
     Class SPClass {

Public void AddItem(SPList list, CustomObject item) {
   }
 }
}

You can create Info Point like this

Class: SPSolution.SPClass

Method : AddItem

Custom Metric Definition

Collect Data from Method Param @index 0

Getter Chain: this.Items.Count

SPList has Count property which we can use to get the current count.

Thanks,

Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hi, Raunak.

Thank you so much for the response.

My dillema here is that all of our SP Apps are all build in Server side coding and currently deployed to prod.

Can we use CSOM codes? like javascript?

I think , this will be my last question. Need to provide a good case study on what approach we are going to use to maximize AppD on all of our SP Apps.

Thanks again in advance. Hope to hear your expert advice soon.

Raunak.Mohanty
Hi ,

.Net Agent can only instrument managed code which is .Net. I do not see an issue with creating Custom Instrumentation Points ( like Info Points, Data Collectors) etc on server side code as that is what .net Agent is instrumenting and collecting all the metrics from.

Thanks,
Raunak

Thank yo so much for the Info Raunak.

If this is the case, what will be the impact to AppDynamics if a SharePoint Application is in Office365(Cloud Based platform version) of SharePoint?

Does Appdynamics can still monitor Full cloud based application like office365?