cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proxyless NodeJS - BTs being named with "FIXME" suffix

Hi there!

I'was experimenting the proxyless NodeJS agent by setting "libagent: true" in the appdynamics profile settings.

Although, new Business Transactions were created with a "FIXME" suffix.

E.g.: /authenticate => /authenticate.FIXME

Do you guys have any idea why that happens and how I could fix that?

Thanks in advance,

- Gabriel Saldanha (@gcrsaldanha)

10 REPLIES 10

Kyle.Furlong
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi Gabriel,

Could you provide a small code sample of what you're trying to instrument? Also, what version of the agent is this?

Regards,

Kyle

Thanks,
Kyle Furlong, Technical Lead (C++ and Dynamic Languages)

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Kyle!

Thanks for your reply and sorry for taking so long to post this.

My NodeJS Agent is 4.3.5.

I'm not sure I can provide a code sample, I can give an overview of the architecture though:

- I have a config.js file containing a JavaScript object with the AppDynamics configuration (which would be placed in the .profile(...) method of the agent). For example: 

appdynamics : {

libagent: true,

controllerHostName: ...,

controllerPort: ...,

}

This config object is imported by an app.js file, which also imports the appdynamics agent and initiliazes it:

app.js:

import appd from 'appdynamics';

import config from '../config';

appd.profile(config.appdynamics);

When libagent is NOT true (or is inexistent), my BTs are showing fine in the Controller view. Although, as soon as I run my app with libagent: true, every BT is suffixed with ".FIXME" as said in the post.

I have no ideia what could be wrong. Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide to make it clearer (e.g., a sample app on a Github repo).

Thanks in advance,

Kyle.Furlong

Hey Gabriel,

No worries, always in your own time, and thanks for all the good data. Could you try running with the 4.3.8 agent we just released and libagent mode? Does it still show the FIXME BT naming?

Thanks an regards,

Kyle

Thanks,

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hi Kyle!

I've installed the 4.3.8 agent and it's still showing 'FIXME' suffix.

Would it be possible that this issue happens because of the fact I had previously discovered BTs (using proxy) and their names would now be duplicated (when running proxyless agent), therefore  the suffix is a way to avoid this duplication... Just guessing.

Kyle.Furlong

Hmm, it's possible. Could you try stopping the app, deleting the BTs, then restarting the app?

Thanks,

Hi Kyle,

I've done it. The authenticate BT is showing only as "authenticate.FIXME". No regular BT. =(

Kyle.Furlong

Hi Gabriel,

I hate to do this, but I think the only way forward at this point would be to put together a small app that reproduces the issue so that our engineers can take a look at this. Would that be possible?

Regards,

Kyle

Thanks,

Hi Kyle!

No problem, I'll make it and I post the code to the GitHub repo here.

Thanks again for your attention,

Hi Kyle!

I didn't have time to create a sample app yet, although I tried creating a new AppDynamics App and from the beginning setting my agent to NOT use the Proxy (i.e., libagent = true). I am using the SAME NodeJS app.

The outcome is that everything works normally, so it's good and bad news. Good because it's working, bad because we won't be able to find the root cause of the ".FIXME" problem.

It's a temporary solution (creating another AppDynamics app). Hope it helps anyone else changing from Proxy -> Proxyless mode.

Cheers,